PDA

View Full Version : Posi rear end

Future_T-type
07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Does any one have a step by step walk through on installing a posi unit into my peg-leg rear end?

I am considering putting it in myself or paying to have someone do it. Not sure which yet.

Is this one of those things that is best to have a professional do, or is it something someone with patience and the right instructions can handle?

Thanks!

PaCemkr86
07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
its pretty simple after the bearings are pressed on to the new unit, and as long as the 8mm crosspin bolt doesn't break on the way out of the old one its a fairly simple install

I usually charge $100.00 to install them at my house

Future_T-type
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't even know what I am looking at with this thing!!! I asked the guy that I got it from if it needs anything to be installed (other then gaskets and the like) and he said, no it is complete. I have a brake down PDF of what it is that I am looking at so I will learn what all the things are. From what I am reading, since I am going with a GN unit, I can just put my units shims back in the same and I should get the same backlash as my peg-leg rear. Sound right? How do I measure backlash? Not really sure what that is, I'm thinking it is forward/aft movement or something?

I know I'm starting in a hole when it comes to knowledge on this, but I am used to that with doing work on my motorcycle and between forums and knowing the right people to call/PM I haven't had an issue doing the work myself on that, so I THINK that I can tackle this......

PaCemkr86
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
your correct, if you have any problems with the install, ill help ya out

Future_T-type
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM
That would be great.

So what do I measure that backlash with? Looking at putting together my tools list to go buy.

Here are the images that I am working with:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/general-turbo-buick-tech/68768d1237174517-drawing-posi-traction-rearend-assembly-posi.jpg

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/general-turbo-buick-tech/68831d1237250114-drawing-posi-traction-rearend-assembly-rear-axle-explode-veiw.jpg

(found on TB in THIS (http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/279310-drawing-posi-traction-rearend-assembly.html) thread)

and here (http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/general-turbo-buick-tech/68768d1237174517-drawing-posi-traction-rearend-assembly-posi.jpg) is the walk through I found on this site.

I was following along fairly well till I got to:

Remove the center pin from the differential

the only reason that is getting me is because I am not seeing anything labeled as 'center pin' on the drawing.

Is this just something that will be fairly obvious once I get the cover off and take a look at it??

Thanks for the offer of help. This is looking more and more like something I can do myself.

Keller
07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
The "pin" and its bolt being referred to is the pinion shaft and pinion bolt. The bolt is small, and has a threadlocker on it. Chances of it breaking are about 50/50 in my experience.

They are widely available. Even in the "HELP" parts section.

PaCemkr86
07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
just dont forget when changing over the ring gear to the new posi unit, the bolts have a "L" on them cause they are left handed thread

Future_T-type
07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
The "pin" and its bolt being referred to is the pinion shaft and pinion bolt. The bolt is small, and has a threadlocker on it. Chances of it breaking are about 50/50 in my experience.

They are widely available. Even in the "HELP" parts section.

All right. That makes sense then, might just buy one ahead of time. This is kinda my daily driver (days I can't take my bike) so I would hate to have down time!!

just dont forget when changing over the ring gear to the new posi unit, the bolts have a "L" on them cause they are left handed thread

Ok. Thanks for the tip!

floridaY56
07-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Good luck - Get it right or it will whine.