PDA

View Full Version : need some help just started at wyotech

mark mcauliffe
07-10-2009, 03:48 AM
hey whats up everybody my name is mark and i have a 84 buick regal but ut has a used 3.8 from a 84 pontiac grand prix trying to figure out what i should get to make it have power with a piggy back turbo set up but stay strong on the internals a stay my daily driver any help on what i should get would be greatfully appricated

Keller
07-10-2009, 08:16 AM
:wait: Hold on a minute. More reading and less posting. Think I deleted 3 other copies of this post. We can find new posts just fine here, thanks.

Read this first: http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3468

In the actual Turbo Regals, the crank, rods, and pistons differ from the regular 3.8 motors. Of course the headers do as well. There are good reasons for this. It helps keeps things together. In addition, the head gaskets are unique, to handle the boost pressure.

My advice: read as much as you can on these motors before trying to roll your own. If done right, you could build something you will really enjoy. If you build a real "midnight engineering" rig, you will be sorely disappointed.

mark mcauliffe
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
i do know i need a diffrent set up in the motor im in hypo so ive done some research and i really injoy the car i am seeing what setup application i should use for a daily driver not a drag car

Keller
07-10-2009, 12:28 PM
The beauty of these cars is that they really don't have to have "two faces". With the use of alcohol injection, you really can have your cake, and eat it, too. If not, you can still set them up to make the power you want to a large extent.

I think you need to pick a rough horsepower target first, and that will allow you to start filling in the shopping list for what you need. The pieces and processes needed to build a strong Buick V6 are well known. If you'll be going with a port injected setup, the formula is well established. (But some of the pieces to duplicate a 86/87 setup might be a little expensive or hard to get...) Pick a target, and the build will be fairly easy to come up with.

More power means a need for stouter drivetrain components as well, of course....

mark mcauliffe
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
thanks im going wiith a carb version unless i can find the throttle body style and i really only beed around like 450bhp and 480fttq i was thinking a t46 upgrade

81 elky
07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Here's the big question....what is your budget? All the planning in the world is worthless unless you can fund it.

81 elky
07-15-2009, 08:23 AM
One more thing. Use periods, comma's, and the like. And proofread. It makes your posts easier to read.

Keller
07-15-2009, 10:55 AM
i was thinking a t46 upgrade
Is this a turbo used in the diesel industry?

Bottom line is that you still need the right engine internals to handle that sort of power. And right now, you don't have them. They are available, but not real cheap.

- Pistons (suggest forged, not hyperutectic)
- Ported heads/intake (do yourself, or see Champion Racing)
- Rods (turbo rods have a slight advantage, and would be cheaper than aftermarket at this HP level)
- Crank (turbo rolled fillet crank would be better than the stock V6 crank, but aftermarket billet would be an alternative)
- Billet main caps and/or full block girdle (usually discussed right above this HP level)
- If you want to go crazy, SFI balancer and flexplate

Sources you might look at: TA Performance, RJC Racing, Champion Racing Head Service

See our website for pics of some block internals and goodies. Might keep your eyes on eBay for a Buick Power Source Book. Lot of good info there.

kenmosher
07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Ahhhh grasshopper .. the spirit is willing, but the mind needs training ... :D

Seriously though, don't underestimate what it takes to get your goals (480 HP) ... that's going to be a challenge with a mix 'n match type of setup (and pretty expensive). As Scott said, what's a T46? It's not normal nomenclature for the Buick turbos that are readily available.

It's been discussed a lot (and I believe it's in the FAQ section), but everything from the fuel system, to wiring, to lots of plumbing and exhaust work needs to be done to have a reliable DD if you roll your own. A carbed setup has the (small, very small) advantage of being simpler electronically, but it really makes the HP target harder to achieve (not to mention the relative rarity of parts and knowledge on really hot rodding those set ups). Fred Carrado (sp?) has a Recipe on the site for his carbed set up and how he got there. Very clever and lots of work and tuning there. I think he probably is somewhere around 300-350 HP in that Recipe.