PDA

View Full Version : intercooled 84 car

proheader
07-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I have the chance to buy an 84 car that is hot air now, wondering if it is worth it to intercool the car???

It has all the decent bolt on items, adjustable parts, decent 93 octane chip, small cam,also has the 86-87 ecm upgrade as well, but is it worth it to look into the intercooler???

I have purchased an 87 drive train I just acquired but that takes time to change. We just built an LS2 2002 camaro from the ground up with the the GM LS2 crate engine and the plug n play and thats just like work.

Just wondering if its worth all the trouble to keep the hot air set up and intercool it....

thanks
proheadersystems.com

Keller
07-14-2009, 11:27 PM
One opinion:

While you can IC the hot air, IMHO it will be hard to make it run as well and as easily as a 86/87 IC setup. With the routing of the exhaust plumbing, the routes that the IC piping would have to take for a adapted IC on the hot-air motor, and how hard it would be to work on after everything was connected, I think it would be easier to start from the 86/87 platform. Even with the swap included.

Having said that, there are some with hot-air cars that remain dedicated to making them fast, and they do make it work. Some make them _very_fast. They certainly aren't in the majority.

In short, I get the impression you know your way around a set of wrenches. I think that swapping a motor is probably not that massive a task to achieve. Investing a bit of time up front in the swap might make the tuning and going fast down the road easier.

proheader
07-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Scott, very much thanks to the quick reply. I do know my way around the wrenches being a certified GM Tech for years and now owning a busy header and chassis shop, its the time factor.

Long story short, I like the car because first off, it runs and drives!!!! Thats why I am thinking of making it go without the swap first. We just did the LS2 2002 car and there is still some odds and ins to be done. I work full time and then spend another 6-8 hours a night in here building headers for everything from Cup teams to GM projects sometimes to Australian Pro Mod. We build a little of everything and I never have the time to do my own stuff. Thats why I am thinking of the intercooler for the 84.

REAL BOTTOM LINE!!!! I want something with a back seat for my two young boys. I have a 70 big block Stocker for NHRA racing and now the LS car for the shoot out later this year. I just want something my wife and I can drive to ice cream on Saturday night and still get down on the street squirrels. lol.. This will mainly be driven by Mommie but I want to run some high 12z.

I have seen the recipes, but of course I will start with the exhaust system and turbo. Just thought about the intercooler because of the running and driving of the car now. NO MORE PARKED IN THE DRIVEWAY PROJECTS!!!!

driveway racers we call them here at the shop......

thanks for the input again....

proheader