PDA

View Full Version : Data recorder/scan tool

sosuzguy
08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Hello....

I have a hot air Riv that I'd like to hook up to my laptop to record data and see what's going on for diagnostic purposes. Can anyone suggest a good application? I'm running everything stock on this car.

Thanks JP

Keller
08-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Once upon a time, the Turbolink tool, software and a special cable that worked with a laptop, would have been ideal to work with this car. Now that it is no longer available, the choices for a scan tool that speak specifically to this type of car are limited.

Short of something like an OTC 2000 or 4000, AutoXray tools, or Rinda Technologies Diacom, not much works well with the 84-85 cars.

Another option would be to switch to the 86-87 ECM, using the info provided on this site. Then you could use some of the TR specific tools such as Scanmaster, PowerLogger, etc.

sosuzguy
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
If anyone has a version of Turbolink I would be interested in buying one.

Thanks

sosuzguy
08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know what data is available for the 84 cars with either turbolink or scanmaster or powerlogger? Thanks

Keller
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
If you stick with the 84/85 ECM, there is a lot less data available than with the 86/87 ECM. And your choices in scan tools are limited.

PowerLogger interfaces via an internal bus, and allows more data than the ALDL port (what ScanMaster uses) and also faster data. However, it costs more and requires a laptop.

sosuzguy
08-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Scott right now I need to get the car running right stock before I change to 86/87 ECM. Is there someone or a website you can point me to to get the Powerlogger? When you said it uses an internal bus does something have to be modified or added to the 84/85 ECM to use the powerlogger? Using a laptop is not a problem got that ! Thanks for your continual advise.

Keller
08-14-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/

PowerLogger ONLY works with the 86/87 ECM. And the ECM will require a slight amount of modification for installation. If you want something that will work with the 84/85 ECM, that is not going to be it.

Something like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/gm-otc-monitor-2000-scanner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14 QQhashZitem41482647b3QQitemZ280383342515QQptZMotor sQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools will get the job done for the 84/85 for little cost, and you can resell it for what you paid for it when you are done.

sosuzguy
08-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Scott - I actually have one of those. I'd have to play with it to remember much about it. Seemed like it was one of those things where the values you wanted to watch were either unavailable in the mode you needed the scanner to be in or weren't available.

Do you know what all the various modes do except for the normal diag mode, that's the one I've used most.

Keller
08-14-2009, 10:57 PM
The big ones are:

9 - ROAD
and
8 - ALDL

There are a few others.

The former is what should be used when the car is being driven. The latter should only used while sitting still to diagnose certain problems, and certain things are set to a fixed value. (i.e. Idle goes to a higher fixed value, etc.)

However, with the 84/85 cars, a lot less data gets displayed in ROAD than in ALDL. Not much can be done than do the 86/87 ECM conversion.

See the note in this area about getting recording to work in ROAD mode with an OTC.

James West
08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know what data is available for the 84 cars with either turbolink or scanmaster or powerlogger? Thanks

I have a used OTC scan tool with cable and instructions that I believe will work with your Riv. I'll make you a great deal on it if you are interested. I've sold my car and I'm in the process of selling off all of my extra NOS GM parts and scan tools.

sosuzguy
08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks but I have an OTC 2000 scanner. was looking to upgrade later on to turbolinks