PDA

View Full Version : 87 T type for a trade

ryanws6
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I've read the post about Ttypes. Still got a couple Qs.

I've been offered to trade one of my 2 TA's, this one is modded 390rwhp 6spd 11.8 114 etc...clean car, for a 87 white T type. I had one in my HS days and loved it and that's why I'm considering this trade.

Thing is its a T type with rough int and missing AC lines. All else looks ok.

First, I thought all 87s were GNs?

Next it has those silver mag wheels that I've seen on Ttypes, on 85/86

I hear the rear diff/ratio and sway bars are diff from Ttype to GN?

It has an intercooler.

I'm not looking to make this into a race car, just a clean street car. So how hard is it to get parts? Like those ac lines? How about int trim?

Sorry for the newB Qs. Seems like I'd be starting over. Thanks!!

Keller
08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Read the website more. All these questions are covered.

GNXs, Ts, GNs, and Ts with the Limited package were all available in 87.

A/C lines should still be available.

Aluminum wheels were used on 86/87 T/T-Types and 84/85 GNs. Magnesium wheels were not used on any of these cars.

All the cars have the same 8.5" 3.42 rear end end ratio.

All 86/87 cars had an intercooler.

Interior trim is going to be obtained largely from aftermarket, used, or collector sources. These cars are 22+ years old. Not much factory available for them any longer.

kenmosher
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
First, I thought all 87s were GNs?

No, in fact, in 1987 you could get a base Regal with the turbo drivetrain (with bench seats and a column shift!), the Limited with the turbo drivetrain (with chrome trim and even a Landau roof if you wanted), or the T Package on the Turbo Regal. And of course the GN and the WE4 (a turbo Regal, black with a lot of the GN blacked out accoutrements but T wheels and T interior.)

Next it has those silver mag wheels that I've seen on Ttypes, on 85/86

See this thread ...

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13045

Probably the stock N89 wheels which is part of the "T" package.

I hear the rear diff/ratio and sway bars are diff from Ttype to GN?

You heard wrong then :D ... same (3.42) 8.5" rear (unique to the "T"s and GNs). Same basic F41 RPO suspension.

It has an intercooler.

As did all 1986-87 turbo Regals/GNs ...

I'm not looking to make this into a race car, just a clean street car. So how hard is it to get parts? Like those ac lines? How about int trim?

Depends on their condition and what you need. A lot of stuff is still available from places like GBodyparts.com and the mechanical/HVAC stuff is probably still available from places like RockAuto.com.

Often times, it's cheaper (not mention easier) just to pay a little more for one of the many cleaner, lower mileage, better cared for examples than it is to try to fix somebody else's mistakes, hack jobs, and abuse.

ryanws6
08-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks so much!

I assumed the rears were the same but would rather ask the pros.

Been there done that, at times it is better to just find a cleaner GN than a trade like this. My fbod is clean and overall nice. This might be a little of a loss on my side since you can jump in and drive anywhere with ac too.

I aways wanted another one.

Just found out there is some type of damage to the lft qtr. and has a blue dash.

It looks to be a Ltd with bucket seats.

I'll have to sleep on this. If I pass on it I may endup selling my TA for a cleaner GN.