PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Riviera issue. Stored since 1993!

1983 T Type
08-20-2009, 05:20 AM
My question concerning this car is 1 How RARE is a 33k mile all original Riviera Turbo car worth in like new shape? Still smells new inside! The performance issue I think has came avout by the owner leaving the gas in it for so long. I put fresh 93oct. in the fuel bowls and car started immediately but soon died. I went and put roughly 4 gallons of 93 in tank which only showed a tick over an 1/8 and 1/4 after adding the gas. The Quadrajet's floats were stuck as it was pouring fuel out onto the intake when attempting to run it or just a quick crank of the motor. I got carb cleaner hit it well tappped around and got the floats freed up. The car ran rough for a few minutes constantly pumping the pedal to get the accelrator pump to keep fuel flowing. After around 10 minutes it was idling and I pulled it from the garage it has sat in since 93. It idled good a little faast but smooth and reved freely. The owner had me follow him across the street to sunoco where he added 5 gallons of 87 in it. After adding more fuel the car began sputtering again. I kept it running BARELY till I was away from town and pumped the pedal four times or so and nailed it the turbo kicked in adn it took off impressively! I have had 13 5.0 mustangs and had no idea the little 6 could do what it did! It still wouldnt idle or drive with constant fuel pedal pressure. you have to constantly pump the gas to keep it going, but when you hit open road it will open up and scream. I think its possibly rust/pollutants in gas tank, the fuel filter or MAYBE needs a carb rebuild. The owner had an 84 regal and a new 850 double pump carb on the shelf. I don't think its the carb but if it were would the 850 DP carb 1 be tooo much and 2 need to be a blow through carb? I have no real exp. with turbo cars other than my 84 GT mustang convertable turbo. I have the chance to get this car as is for 1300 dollars or so and I KNOW it has to be worth that times 2 or 3 even. ANY info on these cars and ideas as to fixing this one would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the gm/ Buick world, but the mustang forums has a great group of educated members that helped me fine tune my 11 second home built 5.0 GT. Thanks for reading, I may own this car as early as Saturday, but I would love to learn a bit about it before I dive in blind. Thanks again for any help you may offer ADAM

kenmosher
08-20-2009, 09:34 AM
My question concerning this car is 1 How RARE is a 33k mile all original Riviera Turbo car worth in like new shape?

It's rare enough that it's hard to put a value on! Not enough of those cars were built in the first place to get a steady value and then add the fact it's in that sort of shape and not many change hands nowadays. If you sort out the fuel system, it's probably a good $5-7K car? Unfortunately, it'll take exactly the right buyer, since those cars aren't sought after except by the aficionados.

I have had 13 5.0 mustangs and had no idea the little 6 could do what it did!

Especially in a big ol' boat like a Riv! The carbed version isn't as powerful as the later fuel injected versions, and probably is a mid 16 second car or so. They make a lot of torque though, and that makes moving that much iron much peppier!:drive:

I don't think its the carb but if it were would the 850 DP carb 1 be tooo much and 2 need to be a blow through carb?

That's too much carb and the factory carb has a lot of specific features for the turbocharged cars (sealed shafts, different metering, etc.). You are better off rebuilding the existing carb, if needed.

I have the chance to get this car as is for 1300 dollars or so and I KNOW it has to be worth that times 2 or 3 even.

A SMOKIN' deal if it's anywhere near the condition you describe! :needpics:

ANY info on these cars and ideas as to fixing this one would be greatly appreciated.

I would put the car on the lift, put a new fuel filter in it, completely drain the tank and flush the lines to see if some of the hesitation problem clear up.

I'd also do the basic maintenance things (plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc.). Once it's mechanically sound, it should be a kick!

Keller
08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Given its carburetor and lack of an intercooler, it lacks a bit of power compared to later models. Plus, being a Riviera, it is heavy compared to a Regal. And it is much heavier than a Mustang.

Imagine what the later Turbo Regals feel like! :swerve:

413turbo
08-28-2009, 01:59 AM
i have an '84 or '85 t-type riviera, was stored under a hay loft i was told. it has surface rust everywhere, but looks like a original 40,000 mile car. interior is in nice shape except for the headliner. not sure what to do with it, i bought it just in case i every get the grand national finished it would be my next project.

i looked at past barret jackson auctions. i can't remember the prices but it was either 3,000 or 13,000. all the ones that i could find sold for less than it would take to restore one. they were really on the low side. but like was said, it would take a special buyer (like papa john).

when i told a friend about buying it, and that buick had only made 1,100 of them. he told me that was probably all they could sell when they were new.

b4black
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
The electronic carbs don't have many adjustments. I wouldn't mess with it yet. The are good carb to stick with.

Looks for vacuum leaks. That will keep it from idleing. Then I would consider the O2 sensor. Put a scan tool on it see if it swings quickly between rich and lean.