PDA

View Full Version : VDO oil pressure gauge install

Regal84
10-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey guys finnally getting around to hooking back up my VDO gauges that came with my car. I know where to hook up the the water temp sensor. I need to know where is the best place to tap in the Oil pressure gauge sending wire??? Also what color is the wire? All the other wires I'm good with.
Thanks

Stefan

kenmosher
10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I put the tap down at the bottom of the turbo oil feed line (next to the block) with a "T". You have to run a new wire from the sender thru the firewall to the gauge.

Regal84
10-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks Ken,
Do you have a picture of yours you can post and is there a sensor that this is "T" ing from??

Stefan

Keller
10-16-2009, 06:05 PM
You need what is called a "street tee" in order to retain both the sender for the dash, the feed line for the turbo, and to be able to have a place for the gauge sender to be installed.

Keller
10-17-2009, 02:09 AM
http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3391

Regal84
10-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks fellas, I think I understand what your talking about now. Question I have is what happens if I tap the electrical wire that sends the signal to the idiot light does the idiot light not work then??
The thing I don't have is the oil sender unit that came with the gauge that would screw into the street tee. Where can I get one,is there a specific part #, and is it able to work with other gauges. I was looking to buy Autometer Phantom II oil pres gauge in the near future to match my Boost gauge.

Stefan

Ts86ttype
10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Maybe this pic will help http://www.gnttype.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=916&d=1187534015 When you order a new gauge it will come with a sender, if you order an electrical on not a mechanical gauge... Also you run a new wire for it... Tom G.

Keller
10-17-2009, 11:55 AM
A little confused about the question... :what:

Why would you desire to tap the oil pressure switch wire? That is a switch signal (i.e. on/off) and not a gauge signal. Some have chosen to remove the warning light sender and go with just a gauge sender. However, since that sender is both a big "PANIC" warning (i.e. "you have extremely low oil pressure") that may help you save your motor, it is probably a bad idea to remove. Plus, that switch also has a second circuit that will keep your fuel pump running in the event of a fuel pump relay failure while you are driving down the road. And may even allow the car to start after a few cranks after a fuel pump relay failure.

Any brand gauge gauge will have a compatible sender available. Sorry, but don't have the part numbers available. The vendors change products from time to time, and some vendors (i.e. VDO) have changed owners so often that I would not be sure that any numbering scheme would even be stable.

Keller
10-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Maybe this pic will help http://www.gnttype.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=916&d=1187534015
Good addition, Tom.