PDA

View Full Version : I need a transmission

dmoberg
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I need a decent transmission - 200 4R for my pride and joy, my 86GN. I'd prefer an affordable rebuild/upgrade for my original 200-4R. I've done some research and I'm pretty sure I can figure out what parts I'll need, but more than one of my local transmission shops have recommended I not try it in my ill-equipped garage. I can ship it out and back but I'm looking for a fair price. I'm a ward of the government...on your payroll. :hail: I'm on the DAV dole so you know I really need a fair price:duh:. Thanks in advance, Dave

dmoberg
11-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow, no one out there doing affordable rebuilds?.....no recommendations? I'm not looking for free, just a fair price.

In retrospect, I guess my weak attempt at humor - my reference to being a charity case probably came off that way....this being veteran's day and all. I'm an unabled veteran after more than 20 years on duty. I'm proud to have served and grateful for my benefits. I've been around long enough to know you get what you pay for, and nothing else.
Oh well, as Sister Mary Alice and Rosanna Rosanna-Dana would say.....never mind.
Drive fast,
Dave

kenmosher
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Take a look on the site in the transmission section ... all sorts of good info. Then you'll be "armed" when you talk to any transmission shops...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transpage.html

In particular:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/200rebld.html

dmoberg
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Many thanks Mr. Mosher. I've done a lot of reading and research. DRW transmission also has a great "how to" article on line. I'm just reluctant to pick a shop off a list. I'd rather spend my money at a shop that has a history of doing good work, someplace another GN enthusiast would recommend.
Thanks for answering, Dave

kenmosher
11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
In your general area, you might be money ahead to talk to Cotton's and see what they recommend. I'm sure they have a builder they use regularly.

Bobhebert
11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
I have a few good stock BRF trannys and a stock rebuilt tranny also. Both cheaper then having yours rebuilt. I'm also in Mass. If interesed E mail me direct at Fortune628@aol.com on do go on here that often.