PDA

View Full Version : its all new to me!

Bobby Garrett
01-06-2010, 12:36 AM
I am new to the G/N T/Type scene so dont think bad of me due to my ignorance.I recently rescued an 84 G/N from a collapsed barn in TX.I have just completed its restoration and conversion of the stock engine to an 87 upper half. Quick parts list includes, all roller,stock champion ported heads & intake,All ARP fasteners,PT54,ATR gate&pipe,3"in&3"out,50lb.inj.,93chip,front mount cooler,walboro,hotwire,MAF translater,K&N,ProFlows,orange stripe brawler,B&M shift kit.Car runs strong enough to demolish a 2010 ss camaro. NOW MY QUESTION! I want to put an alky kit on her but I want some input from someone who has it.ALSO I have not had the car professionally tuned because I live in the middle of nowhere east TX. and dont think anyone around here can do it. Anybody know of a good place, please pass it on.I will go to Dallas if I have to.Should I put alky on first? Will race gas instead of 93octane do the same thing?P.S.will do 19"of boost now with no retard (yes knock sensor works).Again forgive my stupidity yall I am just a red-neck who is obsessed with a black car.

GNXTURBO6
01-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Good =is you can run lots of boost ,kill knock ,run 93 octane ,

Bad=Pump failure , keep filling Alky tank

Now Razor has a tester to make sure your pump is healthy, and you could also do the Metco spare tire fuel cell for 5 gallons of Alky . Guys will chime in here but thats the basics on it.

GNXTURBO6
01-06-2010, 12:52 AM
by the way, My setup is: Alkycontrol/Turbotweak/Methanol/93 octane. I've seen 30 psi with a TE44 & 36lb. injectors and I still have headgaskets

and it does fine :)

Bobby Garrett
01-06-2010, 12:54 AM
O.K.have a heavy foot how often do you have to fill normal tank? what happens when pump goes?does it include me swearing a lot when it happens?

GNXTURBO6
01-06-2010, 12:57 AM
its not bad. i have 3 kids and live on a 90k income and its really not a problem to filll up and boy i tell ya, i got bad stop light fury, Here are a few more cons. ENJOY!

Cons: Tickets for speeding
1. Constant abuse of the competition in traffic
2. Your local race gas supplier will never see your money again
3. You will thinK of all the battles you lost before the alky and kick yourself in the butt
4. People in traffic as why does your car smell like that if they ever catch up
5. You have to keep drag radials on the car
6. 25psi turns women on and you have to satisfy them afterwards(wait, thats not a con)
7. You have to be careful where you say "I need more Meth". Got me drug tested at work..
8. You tend to want to hug Julio at Alkycontrol. He won't like that...
9. You will poke your chest out at the cruise nights and be labeled a bully.
10. You have to keep the Jiffy Lube guys from sticking their finger in the bottle, sniffing it and saying "Sir, what is that?"

IT'S A GREAT MOD ON A SERIOUS NOTE!!

Bobby Garrett
01-06-2010, 01:03 AM
dude you are awsome!! That was the funniest thing I have ever heard and all done so quickly! You my friend are truly a professional.

GNXTURBO6
01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
is that a 6.2L V8 camaro you beat?

Bobby Garrett
01-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Where do I get one? sign me up! I have been getting all my stuff so far from Bruce at agressive. He has been a tremendous help to me.Should I just call him?

Bobby Garrett
01-06-2010, 01:11 AM
YES 6.2 very cool, It was a transformer edition.

GNXTURBO6
01-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Great balls of fire. I don't think i could do that. You must have a nice piece of work.

Bobby Garrett
01-06-2010, 01:17 AM
WOW REALLY!! i have never owned or worked on a G/N before. I dont know if i have everything right or not.

GNXTURBO6
01-06-2010, 01:21 AM
possibly on a good day. those things run 4.5 0-60 and a 12.7-13.0 1/4 mile. stock w/ 426 ponies. I'd have a hard time with it. especially in top end. if you beat it i believe you because there are some bmonster buicks out there. congrats.

Keller
01-06-2010, 02:17 AM
First, I would not be running a TE44 at 30# of boost. But that is just me. 25# or so, maybe. But he has a PT54, which is pumping a lot harder. Doen right, his combo can be stronger.

Having said that, I think you could probably use larger injectors than the 50# units; alcohol or not. However, I have seen the 50# MSD/Delco injectors carry a car to 11.0...before letting it go lean enough to blow the head gaskets. You might consider a larger, and more reliable, injector.

I would not use the Metco fuel cell for alcohol. First, there should not be a need to carry 8 gallons of alcohol around. Are you going to be on the boost every moment you are driving? Alcohol gets bad just sitting around. And extra fluid is just heavy. Using the tank provided in the kit should hold more than enough for plenty of driving.

Alcohol works well. Pumps can have issues. But...everything can.

Keller
01-06-2010, 02:23 AM
BTW, that turbo will not even show you its best side until probably 22+ PSI. So you haven't even begun to see what that car is capable of.

Race fuel works well, but is expensive. The alcohol kits are, too. But the alcohol is only used under boost, making the use of alcohol cheaper over time. I think race fuel is easier to tune with, but it is a lot more expensive to work with. Especially on the street.

If you install a wideband O2 sensor, the tuning of an alcohol setup (or any setup) will be much easier.

Keller
01-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Where do I get one? sign me up! I have been getting all my stuff so far from Bruce at agressive.
Bruce may be able to help. I would suggest other possible sources such as Alkycontrol, SMC, Devils Own, etc. All or most should be listed in our Vendors page.