PDA

View Full Version : 84 3.8 rebulid

jamielisa14527
01-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to yank the engine in my 84 t type. I plan to do a total rebuild of the engine. Does anyone have any thoughts about what pistons, cam, and bearings to use ? I have already got 24 lb accel injectors and felpro gasket set. Any advice would be helpful .

kenmosher
01-28-2010, 10:23 PM
24 lb injectors? Not sure on the 84s, but that sounds like less than stock (it is on the intercooled cars) ...

Pistons ... TRW might still make nice forged ones that are "off the shelf", but if the stockers check out OK and you can stay standard bore, I'd just reuse them with new rings.

This all depends on why you are rebuilding? Wear? Damage? More performance?

Bearings ... I like the Federal Mogul (might be Speed Pro now) coated bearings. M107s for the mains if I remember right and CH something for the rods? Have to look up current part numbers.

Don't go nuts on the cam ... keep it around 205/205 or so and make sure it's a turbo grind. Again, this all depends on what your goals are ... if you doing a nice stock rebuild, a mild cam, some head/intake cleanup can give some nice gains. 24lb injectors aren't going to cut it though ...

jamielisa14527
01-29-2010, 06:44 AM
My 84 has 105,000 miles on it and the compression is only around 110 lbs. I would like to build a nice street/strip driver. I called summit and they said that the 24lb injecters where one step up from stock. should i send them back?? I was looking at comp cams kit number k69-248-4. the cam specs are intake and exhaust duration 212 at 050. valve lift .459 with stock rockers. Is this too big?

jamielisa14527
01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
thanks for the heads up on the injectors. I called them and stock injectors are 27 lbs. They are sending me 30 lb injectors!

Keller
01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
That is what happens when you deal with non-Buick vendors for your Buick. :nope:

The cam is a wee bit aggressive for a basic build. The injectors are smaller than stock.

For reference, see http://www.gnttype.org/maint/quickref.html

Stock cam is 192/196; stock injectors are about 29#. As Ken said, a simple conservative street build would use a cam smaller than a 212/212. And 24# injectors are ridiculous. Generally, anything less than 36# is not considered a real upgrade.

Stick with TR oriented vendors such as those on our vendor list to get the kind of service you need. They know these cars, and aren't concerned about the Camaros and Mustangs.

Keller
01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
They are sending me 30 lb injectors!
Good luck finding a chip that will work with Accel 30# injectors well. Could probably get at least 30# injectors of a known type for less money from a TR vendor. Summit/Jegs/etc. are not always the cheapest source. Frankly, I have found Red Armstrong to blow everyone out of the water on injector pricing.

jamielisa14527
01-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I paid $31 each for the injectors. is that bad?? where do i find our vendor list?

Keller
01-29-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.gnttype.org/vendors/index.html

Might be worth checking with your favorite chipmaker if they will be able to cook up a fuel curve for those injectors. Just because an injector has a given flow rate, doesn't mean it comes in exactly the same. i.e. the same flow at low flow rates and at high flow rates. This is less of an issue with smaller injectors.

However, I can assure you that 42# Bosch "green top" injectors and 42# Lucas "009" injectors flow completely different. A chip meant for one will likely not work well with the other. I have seen this, and always try to help others understand it. Placing them side-by-side on a flow bench might be the only way to really illustrate it.

jamielisa14527
01-29-2010, 10:16 PM
do we have a spec sheet for bearing clearences any where ?