PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion on fixing/selling 87 GN

MarkL
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Greetings All,
I have an 87 GN that I bought new. It only has 29k miles on it, been in the garage for years now. I played with it for a while, then had no time due to work. I did a lot of mods to it, including pulling the AC components out, which I now regret. I want to put it up for sale to make room in my garage. My dilemma is whether to invest money into getting it closer to stock, or just unload it as is. I kept everything that was removed, except for the stock turbo and stock exhaust. It has a larger turbo (don't recall the exact model) Spearco intercooler (stock location) trunk mount battery, etc. I realize that the closer to stock cars have the best resale value, but I don't have the time to do the work myself. BTW, it also has a brake light that stays on and the pedal is hard, so the Powermaster may need fixing. I'm leaning towards just doing an Ebay listing and see what happens. Any opinions? My location is north side of Chicago. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

kenmosher
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
It's all going to come down to $$$

If you're looking for top dollar, then it needs to be "stocker" :D Meaning, at LEAST have the A/C installed and working properly. People may be able to overlook something like the rear mount battery, but interior stuff, PowerMaster problems, and any cosmetic issues are going to devalue your car (often times more than it costs to put it back to stock).

Things like the bigger turbo and intercooler shouldn't detract too much, since you aren't selling this as a museum piece but a fun driver. This means it would be likely that the person buying it might do the same thing anyway AND it shouldn't be visually obvious at first glance.

If the car LOOKS and drives like it has 29K (excellent paint, clean/nonscuffed interior, no wear, etc.), then that will definitely help a lot.

Bottom line, with the car like what you describe you are going to get a large percentage of "lookers" that think they can buy at a fire sale price, since you've lost interest (as demonstrated by the items you list). The smart guys will also be low balling, since they know you aren't willing to deal with some of the stuff OR because they are going to make a race car out of it and that stuff doesn't matter.

So, what are you trying to get out of the car $$$-wise? Any pictures?

MarkL
03-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Ken. I'll post some pix and info this weekend. I have to make a list of all the spare/extra parts that will go with the car. Are there any mechanics in the Chicago area that really know these cars? If so, I'd be interested in having them look at the work necessary and giving me a quote.

kenmosher
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Used to be a few ... might call John Spina (Casper's Electronics). He's in the area and might be able to recommend someone...