PDA

View Full Version : noisy lifters

mrttype
03-14-2010, 08:13 AM
After a complete rebuild my lifters are quite noisy. Everything is new, 70lb oil pressure. I had the same problem before the rebuild. Head work was done by a very well known shop. Stock valve train. Sounds like I may need more lash,but the plungers seems to be seated far enough.

kenmosher
03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I think you need to actually measure lash and find out. If the heads have been decked, valves recessed in the head, etc. can all affect geometry and you may need a different length pushrod. Also, what lifters are you using?

mrttype
03-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Ken,
I'm using Lunati cam and lifters p/n 32506. Prior to the rebuild I used Kenne-Bell Cam Mark 1TXB with the same noise. The lash seems to be OK. Yesterday I tried a set of .010 longer pushrods with the same result. I am using the stock rocker asm. I know the valve springs are SB Chevy with ss valves.
Dennis

kenmosher
03-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Same lifters before too?

Wonder if it's the lifters themselves?

mrttype
03-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Ken,
These are new lifters. Just changed rocker arms with no luck. Wonder if there is too much spring pressure and pushing the oil out.
Dennis

kenmosher
03-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Spring pressure would have to be HUGE for that to happen (i.e. valves are too short so installed height is wrong? Spring rates are way too high such as 150# or more at the seat?)

1. Stock installed height on the spring (making sure the keepers aren't wrong or something shortening the installed height). Also, valves are correct length, retainer/keeper groove is in the right location in relation to the tip, etc.

2. Springs aren't what you expect (i.e. excessive spring pressure at the seat and over the nose). Is the seat pressure OK (check in a spring tester)? Over the nose? Are the pressures what they recommend with the cam? Is this a roller? Flat tappet? They usually require different spring rates and such.

3. Geometry is "boinked" somehow? Is the rocker tip and valve tip matching up correctly? Pushrods aren't binding or "cocked"?

4. Lifters are pumping up properly with oil pressure? No dirt or blockage to oil passage around the lifter or lifter(s) themselves? Maybe a piece of leftover machining scrud got washed loose from an oil galley or passage?

Just throwing out some ideas ...

mrttype
03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
115 lb spring pressure. Flat tappit cam. It sounds just like solid lifters. The pushrods are seated .035 measuring the pushrods with rockers tight then loosened.
Dennis

turbo nasty
03-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Did you veryify that your current pushrods are the correct length/are giving the proper valve tip geometry?