PDA

View Full Version : 3rd brakelight not working

jsd55
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi guys...maybe you can help me with this...
Ordered a new lamp assembly from GM. Part was very cheap looking/feeling (plastic housing was so thin the first three I had recieved were broken in the box!)
Finally installed a good one and no light.
So, my expert neighbor offered to fix it. By tapping into wiiring harness on the left side of the trunk and using a jumper wire, was able to get the light working. I later noticed the tail light functions were messed up, so I undid what he did and got brake and turn signals working but still no 3rd brake light.
Then I remembered I had the headliner replaced and it seems like just after that was when the 3rd light stopped working. I think when the upper part of the back seat was reinstalled, he may have pinched the flat portion of the harness going to the trunk.
What is the easiest way to repair the flat section (bunch of wires) if one is grounded out.
Thanks...any help will be appreciated.
JSD

Ts86ttype
04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
The light blue wire and black wire that supply the power and ground for the third stop light run from the left inside of the trunk, right next to the main light plug in... Then the wires go to the center of the rear deck area and into the third brake light assembly... I checked out my T-Type and I really can't see were you could pinch the wires, but I guess anything is possible... One thing, if the power wire were to be pinched and grounded out, you would blow the stop hazzard fuse and not have been able to make the main brake lights work after you took out your friends wiring... As for repairs, cut out the bad wires and replace with good wires and connectors... I like to use shrink tube butt connectors that I can seal up the wiring, after the repair is made... Some times I solder up the wiring and add shrink tubing to make a good seal... Tom G.

jsd55
04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
thanks for the tips an info , i thought id pick up a seif powered test light to try an isollate the short,,,,,i hate wiring problems! thanks again!