PDA

View Full Version : Brakes.. 25k Original miles.. Time for brakes..

Canmove
05-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a 87 GN that just turned 25k on the odom.

Took he GN out the other day for the first time this year and the brake light was on... After I drove around the block the light stayed off but i have no brake pedal...
I just ordered new wheels and tires for my GN and I want to upgrade the brakes on my GN.

Any ideas??

I got bigger wheels (20" Foose Wheels) so you will be able to see the brakes really good and i want the brakes to look good...
And of course to work great... THX Richard

Keller
05-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Should we assume nothing has ever been done to this car's brakes? If so, see the "Always ask here before..." link in the Brakes area.

I don't know that anyone wants to see tiny rotors and drums behind your dubs. Are you looking to spend a lot of money? If so, we can help...

Canmove
05-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Should we assume nothing has ever been done to this car's brakes? If so, see the "Always ask here before..." link in the Brakes area.

I don't know that anyone wants to see tiny rotors and drums behind your dubs. Are you looking to spend a lot of money? If so, we can help...

Yea its safe to assume that they are all original...

What's a lot of money to you? what kind of help?

Im gonna go find that thread too. Thx Richard

Keller
05-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Chances are about 100% that the accumulator ball is dead and in need of replacement. It is a wear item and available from many TR vendors.

You should still go through the TR diagnostics and check the system out to be sure everything is up to snuff. Also, should probably bleed the old fluid out and put fresh fluid in.

As far as better gear, Baer makes several front systems that require larger wheels. I'm sure 20's would handle it. They'll start around $1600 and go up over to double that.

On the back, the stock setup is probably OK. If you just want to make a visual statement you could go disc as well. But that requires a lot of work to set up.

Canmove
05-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Chances are about 100% that the accumulator ball is dead and in need of replacement. It is a wear item and available from many TR vendors.

You should still go through the TR diagnostics and check the system out to be sure everything is up to snuff. Also, should probably bleed the old fluid out and put fresh fluid in.

As far as better gear, Baer makes several front systems that require larger wheels. I'm sure 20's would handle it. They'll start around $1600 and go up over to double that.

On the back, the stock setup is probably OK. If you just want to make a visual statement you could go disc as well. But that requires a lot of work to set up.

Holy what??? $1600 for what just 2 baer calipers????
Or is that new calipers and rotors and braided lines???
what about ssbc? or wildwood???

Thx for your help.... Richard

Keller
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
No, no... :nono: (Read through to the end before you leave, though!)

The Baer brakes are a complete system. No child's play of just painting your calipers red. We are talking multi-piston larger calipers, larger rotors, different spindles in some cases, different arms sometimes - a system.

No sense looking like a pimp if you can't perform like one. :winkgrin: You have to have game. Actually, their systems start a little cheaper - about $1200-1300 and go to about $3400 in sizes ranging from 11" to 14".

There are rear systems, too. Those are a wee bit cheaper.

Not familiar with the offerings of SSBC or Wildwood.

Not meaning to offend. But I will say that the stock brakes behind 20" wheels will look pretty silly. Partially because the 20" wheels on these cars are pretty silly and were never intended to be on them. The larger wheels add weight, and increase braking distance. I know you are intending this only for show. But onlookers will see 11" front brakes and 9" rear drums behind 20" wheels.

The new V6 Camaro has 12.6" front rotors, and the SS has 14". An 11" seems awfully small by comparison.

Now, there may be a cheaper compromise. :idea: You could always do the B-body/ 1LE Camaro conversion.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/12inch.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/12inch2.html

And I would also suggest checking into Afco/US Brake oversize piston calipers.

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=dr_stkcalipers

They just bolt up. The pistons are a wee bit larger, but every little bit counts. And yes, you can feel it. 7241-9001 and 7241-9002 are the part numbers, and they are available at Summit, Jegs, etc. These are cast iron, so will still need paint to be pretty.