PDA

View Full Version : Socket for powermaster brake switch

billfor
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Just wondering what people are using to get the powermaster brake switch off. I went to autozone and none of the sockets seem to fit. It is a just a bit too large for a basin wrench. I guess I could always find something from snapon or order the J37117 from GM, but thought maybe somebody has a trick.
Thanks.

gusszgs
05-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I just did this and used a large adjustable wrench. Worked fine, I think a pair of channel locks would work as well.

billfor
05-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks I tried the wrench but the one I had wouldn't give me enough clearance. I wound up finding a used socket on ebay.

The new switch seems to leak a bit from the bottom even after I've tightened it as much as I can, but I'm hoping I can fit a bigger washer inside -- the new switch seemed to have a smaller o-ring than the original.

Benched
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I used channellocks on my last one and now it leaks around the perimeter.

Billfor...where did you get that Kent Moore number for the J tool?

billfor
06-01-2010, 08:29 PM
The J-37117 came up when I did a generic search on google and bing.
You may be overtightening the switch - it's counter intuitive but you barely need to tighten it.

When I installed the new pressure switch it leaked even after I tried different O-rings. I found that this thing is not supposed to be tightened very much at all - the service manual says 20-27N-m (15-20 lb-ft). I went to Sears and got one of those cheap $25 torque wrenches and tightened it to the specs and now it doesn't leak. 20-27N-m is very minimal force.

--- Bill