PDA

View Full Version : New 87' GN owner needs help.

jockomikey
08-25-2004, 12:00 AM
I just purchased a 87 Gn with 73000 miles. After driving in stop and go traffic the temp climbs over 215 degrees sometimes more. I noticed the ceramic resistor on the back of the electric fan is cracked in half but the fan still works. I ordered a new resistor but is there anything else I should check?

The car has a slight rich stumble at 5% throttle opening, any common reasons for this?

I noticed that the car shifts quite stiff, is this because of the nylon strap connected to the alternator and frame? if I remove it, was there something else from the factory that was installed on top of the alternator?

I greatly appreciate any tips or advice!

Keller
08-25-2004, 01:47 AM
That resistor is part of the 'low speed' fan circuit. So your fan will not run when it needs to at low trigger levels depending on what chip you are using. It will only trigger when the car is at super-hot levels, as you have seen. You can bypass the resistor by entirely by the wire to the other side, or at least temporarily, so that it will run at the proper times as well as "I'm-about-to-overheat" times.

The "nylon strap" is a torque strap and is an aftermarket piece. Has no effect on shift behavior. Only helps keep the car from tearing the motor off the relatively stock mounts. These cars shift HARD stock, and even harder with a properly installed 'shift kit'. Keeps the car from tearing up the internal friction parts in the transmission. Though sometimes the hard parts suffer...

As to the stumble, that could be a lot of things. A "spring cleaning" may be in order. Details of your combination might help assess the issue.

jockomikey
08-25-2004, 02:48 AM
Thanks Much!
Do you mean that I can cut out the resistor and just put the same gauge wire in between? Where can I find spring cleaning tips on this site. Thanks, Mike.

Keller
08-25-2004, 03:16 AM
Just move the eyelet from one side to the other (joining the circuit together) and pretend the resistor was never there. The fan will always run at the high speed when triggered, but it will work fine. No extra wire needed.

"Spring Cleaning" is under the "Maintenance Topics" on this website. Look here http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/maintpage.html Don't want to give the precise link away, otherwise you'll never look for anything... ;)