PDA

View Full Version : Is this a BRF?

TurboGN
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
The shift valves read 1-16-G. It has one pressure switch and the other is plugged. Thank you
Sal

Keller
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Think you have shown every side but the one that would have "BR3" painted on it. BRF is the trans code, BR3 is the 86-87 TR valve body code, BR2 has been seen as well, but I think that was for the 84-85 cars. Passenger's side, I think.

TurboGN
06-25-2010, 03:45 PM
photos 42 and 44 are what is left of the paint id. All 4 sides are there.

TurboGN
06-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Could someone please answer my question.

BASSr
06-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Think you have shown every side but the one that would have "BR3" painted on it. BRF is the trans code, BR3 is the 86-87 TR valve body code, BR2 has been seen as well, but I think that was for the 84-85 cars. Passenger's side, I think.

Scott,

This is a VB that I pulled from the factory replacement trans that was in my '87 T-Type after I bought it a few years back (2007). The cable assembly that was in the trans for the ECM only has three wires so there is no second switch. We reviewed this trans because the ID tag on the outside was green colored instead of the correct color for the '87 year.

This VB is the original one out of the trans and sold it to Sal (TurboGN) and my statement was this was a VB out of an '87 BRF trans. Sorry but info I got on this was from here and it has varied in opinion. I don't want to bring a sale issue to this forum but do want to get some clarification on this VB. I pulled it from the 200R4 with the BRF tag on the side:

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=276&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1221577669 (http://www.gnttype.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=276&d=1141421183)

This was discussed in a previous forum thread. Is there a set rule on what VB configuration(s) were in the '87 BRF trans? And in this case what GM would have replaced them with?

Let me know so I can settle this with Sal.

Bruce

David Husek
06-26-2010, 03:20 PM
The shift valves read 1-16-G. It has one pressure switch and the other is plugged. Thank you
Sal

No, it is not a BR valve body. A BR uses a #21 2-3 shift valve, a steel sleeve TV valve, 2 pressure switches and other calibrations not visible in the pics.

BR1, BR2 and BR3 are what you will find in a BR-f trans. The BR3 is most widely seen. Early 86 units were seen with the BR2. The BR1 is very rare, but I have a few here. 84-85 trans' will have a BQ coded VB. His picture shows clearly no code on the VB. It may be lightened due to being rebuilt in which the original BR coded valve body may have been switched.

Scott,

This is a VB that I pulled from the factory replacement trans that was in my '87 T-Type after I bought it a few years back (2007). The cable assembly that was in the trans for the ECM only has three wires so there is no second switch. We reviewed this trans because the ID tag on the outside was green colored instead of the correct color for the '87 year.

This VB is the original one out of the trans and sold it to Sal (TurboGN) and my statement was this was a VB out of an '87 BRF trans. Sorry but info I got on this was from here and it has varied in opinion. I don't want to bring a sale issue to this forum but do want to get some clarification on this VB. I pulled it from the 200R4 with the BRF tag on the side:

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=276&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1221577669 (http://www.gnttype.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=276&d=1141421183)

This was discussed in a previous forum thread. Is there a set rule on what VB configuration(s) were in the '87 BRF trans? And in this case what GM would have replaced them with?

Let me know so I can settle this with Sal.

Bruce

Bruce, the GM Serta program was not reliable. I ordered many transmissions for clients in the early nineties for clients and upon inspection, they were built with the wrong internals and valve body, but tagged correctly. The tag in your picture is correct for a Serta build and it was glued to the side of the trans.

An 87 BR-F transmission only came with a BR3 valve body.

David Husek
06-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I was thinking about what was said above, and I buy quite a bit of parts, so I went back to my paypal account to check as Bruce's name sounded familiar.

It seems I purchased this valve body on 5-22-2010 and asked for code information in which I was told it was not a BR coded Valve body, but a CR valve body. Bruce refunded my money immediately, but was surprised to see it listed on craigslist again still for sale as a grand national BR-F valve body when I explained it was not correct.

'86-'87 Buick GN/T-Type BRF 200R4 valve body (http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/1750125396.html)

Dave