PDA

View Full Version : lifters:GM vs comp

sober_biker
02-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Hey new to the site have an 87 gn w/engine out . Any suggestions on what cam and lifter combo. It'll be near stock so 206/206 comp cam with their lifters or gm lifters or mabbe there's no difference. I just don't want to wipe any lobes. Also go with HD springs? :confused:

kenmosher
02-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I've found that the GM lifters are definitely the way to go. Made in quantity to OEM specs and I've never wiped a cam or had valve train noise with the GMs. They are laser cut and use EDM for the oiling holes and such, so seem to be just made to a high standard.

As far as springs, Comp makes some good slightly stronger than stock springs that work well with a cam like the 206.

sober_biker
02-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Hey, Ken? Thanx for the tip. I tried to do some reserch at the archives area. I saw that lunutty (HA HA) cams were consistanly bad. I had the machinist order the cam. May have to send lifters back. Will order comp springs asap. I've seen your name and comments around. You usually have sound suggestions. If you catch this, where can I get the new timing cover the (external seal) HV model. I've not been to successful in finding any, and have been to at least a dozen or so sites. I think TA performance was the only one. Man this stuff is gettin $$$$.

kenmosher
02-11-2005, 10:13 AM
As far as cams go, I think it might have been the blanks they were ground on ... I think at one time most of the grinders had a few wiped cams. Seems to be much less of a problem in more recent times.

Have you tried Precision Turbo and Engine (PTE?) or Mike Licht @ Full Throttle Speed and Style for the front cover? They usually have that sort of stuff in stock ...

sober_biker
02-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I tried Full throttle they won't have any till April or something. I tried PTE and couldn't find the link, and tried typing in the words (timing cover) and found no matches on that site. :(

gordyzx9r
02-13-2005, 06:52 PM
As far as the front cover goes, I found a couple of places that list having it:

Front Timing Cover with High Volume Oil Pump, John's Performance (http://www.johnsperformance.com/), $139.00

Front Timing Cover with High Volume Oil Pump, Full Throttle Speed, $139.00

Front Timing Cover with High Volume Oil Pump (Melling), SE Turbo (http://seturbo.com/) , $180.00

ATR has the HV pump itseld listed for $65.95, but I didn't see the cover listed.

And the only reason I have this info is because I'm putting together what I want to do to my GN.

sober_biker
02-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey man, thanx for the linx, I just ordered one from John's performance. Belive me when I say I looked . I'm not lazy and I don't mind surfing on the web. I hope John's has them in stock. :D