PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Seal

87 Relic
10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I find I am now forced to deal with my leaking rear main seal. From what I have read it appears the Felpro BS40613 seal is the preferred one to use. If this is not right, someone please let me know. I also have the factory GM maintenance manual for the turbo Regals. The manual specifies the bolts on the crossover pipe are to be torqued to 22 ft/lbs. That being said, do I really need to torque them to 22 ft/lbs, or will good and tight be just fine? The bolts are 23 years old. Anyone who has good working knowledge of this matter, please share it with me. Thanks in advance.

kenmosher
10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
That's the seal I've used (usually comes in the rebuild gasket set)... I think the seal kit comes with the pins

Have you seen this?

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/rearmain.html

As far as the cross over ... use some good anti-seize and "good 'n tight" without breaking them works fine.

87 Relic
10-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the info Ken. I do have the printout of the link you posted. I have torqued exhaust bolts to spec on older engines before and had them break. It really makes you not want to do it again. But, being a turbo engine, it makes you wonder how much torque the bolts on the crossover pipe really need.

kenmosher
10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
You'll know if they're loose ... you'll see soot around the flanges and might even hear it under boost.

Hard to get an accurate torque reading on old corroded bolts (most likely), so you kind of just have to go by ear.