PDA

View Full Version : help building a 83 t-type!!!!

t-typechip
02-03-2011, 07:06 AM
I recently purchased a 83 t-type with 70,312 og miles, the car looks near new on the inside, and very well taken care of. My problem is with performance, ive looked online, in magazines and nothing shows a carburated t-type with performance mods. Im located in southern california and really wanna have this car be a nice cruiser. All my buddies have either Monte carlo SS, or El camino's with sbc 300hp+,and i want to have this car running with them. any help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appretiated, Thanks

Keller
02-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Given that your car is a 3.8L V6 turbo and carbureted, it isn't quite as easy to upgrade as the later fuel injected models and newer V8 vehicles with added technologies such as adustible cam timing, multiple valves per cylinder, etc.

Still, you can get quite a bit more performance! Fear not. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/carb.html Even with everything applied, it will not be the fastest car on the street, but following the guidelines listed, your performance should improve considerably!

charlief1
02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Here's a link to my 83 T and what I'm doing to it. It's on hold right now because I decided to open my shop full time.:winkgrin:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech/322115-finally-got-some-time.html

The sticky at the top of this B4Black section is also mine. It's the only possible upgrade for the turbo unless you want just a little better turbo. You can upgrade the turbo just by putting the 84-85 inducer wheel in it but you will still have a very heavy exducer. Brian at G body followed my experimenting on changing the turbo design and has already talked to the turbo shop he deals with and are trying to make some of them up.:pat:

If you haven't checked it out you might want to go take a look at the B4Black website as well. Rich George is the owner and it has some good info on it as well.

www.beforeblack.net