PDA

View Full Version : Engine for build

Keller
02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase a motor out of an 86/87 TR that is complete and would be used for a performance build. The motor has low miles (52k) and is complete. However, there is one thing that gives me pause:

The car had a fire. So the engine clearly has had fire near it.

Question is would fire really damage the engine? It would be rebuilt. I have seen under the pan and everything seems fine. There is a good chance the crank will be replaced, as would be the pistons, rockers, cam, lifters, etc. I am primarily interested in the block.

Thoughts?

kenmosher
02-16-2011, 01:51 PM
As long as the fire wasn't hot enough to deform aluminum stuff (like the intake), I'd say it's fine. Internally should be fine ...

charlief1
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
As long as the fire wasn't hot enough to deform aluminum stuff (like the intake), I'd say it's fine. Internally should be fine ...

I'd agree here if I knew how the fire was put out. If it was extremely hot and they used water there's a chance the engine may have been cracked when the fire was put out. That would be my concern.

Keller
02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I already have a few intakes. And from what I have seen the aluminum pieces were not heated enough to deform.

Have to think this one over...

buickpe87
02-17-2011, 04:45 AM
The engine is propably fine, because the intake is in an good condition, so, not so much heat... But, I would check the straightness of the heads and plock deck as well as cylinder "roundness" and this way to conclude the condition of the block.

Anyway, I believe, that block is ok.