PDA

View Full Version : MAF plumbing causing problems? (was: Intake)

buickgn3291
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Heyy guys. So I put a 4inch maf pipe, a three inch up pipe, and a big mouth cold air intake on a all stock setup. Now when I slam the car the boost is there (15lbs) but it seems to stuttered amd doesnt connect and rocket, like it used to. Could it be to much air for my stock setup? What could cause this?

Sheriff_Austin
05-24-2011, 11:11 PM
4in MAF pipe? Just to clarify this is the pipe running from the MAF sensor to the turbo inlet, yes?

Are you running the stock MAF sensor?

Keller
05-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Why? Isn't that a bit of overkill?

Is your boost maxed at 15 PSI? (Not just "full scale".) Is it going higher?

Do you have an aftermarket boost gauge with a higher than 15 PSI range? What about a knock gauge or scan tool?

I have a feeling you are overboosting, and getting detonation.

PaCemkr86
05-25-2011, 08:35 AM
4in MAF pipe? Just to clarify this is the pipe running from the MAF sensor to the turbo inlet, yes?

Are you running the stock MAF sensor?

same question

buickgn3291
05-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Yes its the maf pipe that connects to sensor and.turbo running stock maf sensor. Yes I have a boost gauge that goes to 20pounds. Car seems to stutter and not connect when slammed nyt is ok when I gradually build the boost up to 10pLlounds then stuuter

Sheriff_Austin
05-25-2011, 10:54 AM
From my understanding, if you increase the diameter of the MAF Pipe, you can't use the stock MAF sensor anymore because of the increased air flow. you would want to upgrade to a larger MAF Sensor, like an LS1's, and procure a translator as well.

But I would wait for Scott or Phil to chime in here, because I could be missing something else myself.

buickgn3291
05-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Okk that makes sense

Keller
05-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Car seems to stutter and not connect when slammed nyt is ok when I gradually build the boost up to 10pLlounds then stuuter
"slammed nyt"? :ugh:

If I am understanding correctly, things are fine when you roll into it, but you get this "stutter" when you punch it hard. Correct?

Do you have any leaks in the intake plumbing? How is the 4" pipe connected to the MAF? Big step-down hose to both the MAF and turbo, I am guessing.

Do you have any data? Fuel pressure while this is happening? Knock while this is happening?

I have run 11.7s with a 3" MAF pipe, and have tuned 11.0 cars with 3" MAF pipes. Heck, tuned XFI equipped cars with 3" MAF pipes. What possessed you to plumb up a stock car like this? It won't make it faster. Just like trashcan-sized mufflers on Hondas don't help. :lmao:

Keller
05-25-2011, 12:31 PM
if you increase the diameter of the MAF Pipe, you can't use the stock MAF sensor anymore because of the increased air flow.
Debatable. There is some question of sanity here. Do you need 4" exhaust pipes? They are bigger so should flow better! But there is a point of diminishing returns, and diminishing wallet.

No, and bigger isn't always better.

Plenty of cars have gone into the 10s with 3" MAFs and pipes. Putting a 4" system on a stock car seems about as sensible as 30" wheels. Gets attention, but basically flushes money down the toilet.

I'm not getting the intent here. Have a pic of your setup?

Sheriff_Austin
05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
It won't make it faster. Just like trashcan-sized mufflers on Hondas don't help. :lmao:

I die laughing every time I see this, which is often here in SoCal :lmao::lmao:

buickgn3291
05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to go big and make it look nice, it was around t
he same price of the 3inch, so it was personal preference. Yes if I ease into it, it seems ok, when I punch it the boost is there nut it doesnt goooo. My setup is{3-4hose from turbo to maf pipe, 4-3inch hose to maf sensor, 3-4inch hose to new big mouth cold air also 3inch up pipe

jlat
05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
hello ladies and gents; I'm no expert but why not give this a shot. If all the plumbing is correct and tighten try and reset your puter and see what happens. Just disconnect the bat. for a while and reconnect. I'd give it shot if I was you.
IBBY

Sheriff_Austin
05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Not sure if that is going to help, but its worth a try.

The one thing with our cars is that they are VERY sensitive to variations in air, fuel, and exhaust; arguable the 3 most important things in the vehicle (the old adage "Air-in, Fuel-in, Air Out" applies here.)

When you start making inconsistencies in air flow, you are going to have an issue. Uniformity and consistency is key, especially with TRs.

buickgn3291
05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I have 42.5lb injectors, a turbo tweak chip and a hotwire harness and pump waiting to go in. maybe this will solve it?

Sheriff_Austin
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I know what my father would tell me, it would be to solve a problem before you create a new one to keep the variables down.

With that said...

Those upgrades you just listed are some of the most important to be had, as it improves the fuel attribute I mentioned earlier, and if you are running the stock setup like I once was not too long ago, you are running super low volts at the pump along with low Fuel Pressure. Problem is you are going to have a problem identifying any issues you have with those upgrades if you haven't isolated the "air-in" issue first.

6 in one, half a dozen in the other, but the safe bet is to fix the air first.

buickgn3291
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your help guys, gonna go back to the basics. Also just ordered a Scanmaster, couldnt help myself:wag:

PaCemkr86
05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I have 42.5lb injectors, a turbo tweak chip and a hotwire harness and pump waiting to go in. maybe this will solve it?

those def will help, but i suggest installing the scanmaster and getting us some data before you go around full throttle.

Keller
05-25-2011, 05:45 PM
X2

Identify the current problem before you create more problems! While it may be a fuel issue, verify first, cure second. It could be something else. As has been said, keep the variables down for now.