PDA

View Full Version : 200 Deg. Overheating ????

Soldier_GN
06-30-2011, 01:26 AM
So this is my offical first post. Just got my 87 GN 120k. The previous owner babied the car. He upgraded to VDO GNX style guages. He upgraded to a 160 t-stat and has a turbo tweek 93 octane chip.n Hooker headers and exsaust. So i get it and on the first day the temp hitts 225. Add some coolant/water mixture and good for a few minutes. And then it go's up to 200. Its constantly between 180-200.

So i flushed out the radiator with peak super flush, and 3 full radiators full of water to get all the bad stuff out. Refilled with 60/40% water/coolant (im in El Paso TX, where its been 105-110 this whole week, so no freez worries). Also added half a bottle of Wetter Water ( since its 1 ounce per Qt. and Gn use 6 till t-stat opens and then u gotta damn near have to add another 2. So about 7- 7.g Qt.'s of cooling stuff.
I noticed that there was quite a bit of im guessing calcium buildup inside on the scales. The t-stat seems to open and the fan works fine (i guess). I have noot temp scan tools and cant figure out what it is. COuld it b just because of the outside air is sooo hott and the 3500 Ft. altitude that she runs a lil hott ???? And is the 160 t-stat better than a 180...??? im assuming so....SIlly question, I guess....

Im just a newb with a cherry GN and dont want to mess her up by driving her too hott.... Did a search and read some similar post but there seem to be no solutions. Please help me with any info !!! My dream is quickly turning into a nitemare

kenmosher
06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
200 degrees isn't going to hurt anything (and in fact, 230 degrees won't either). Just when it's hot, be sure that you have good gas and a street chip to avoid detonation.

Sounds like radiator may have the bottom core plugged and any good radiator shop should be able to rod it out and boil it fairly inexpensively. Maybe have the core replaced with a better one while you're at it.

However, with those kind of outside temperatures it's not that unusual to have the car run around 190-200 degrees.

Soldier_GN
06-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks Ken,

You word put my mind @ ease, at least for a little while :woot:. Gona go see about that core plugging/ rodding you suggested. Gona see about another core altogether. Was gona save up and get a good aftermarker radiator with dual electric fans and a new intercooler, but im Deploying in about 4 weeks. So i guess imjust gona save that $$$ till i get back. :drive:

So thats not out the norm ? Hmm ? I was freaking out cause i got a 160 t-stat and im sitting 200 easy both with the a/c on/off...Anyother ideas would be great too....thanks TB family !!!

1fast6
06-30-2011, 07:48 PM
I live in FL where the temps have been high 90's. My car will run 180-185 with A/C and sitting in traffic.
I would look at your radiator. There is also an upgrade you can do for the fans from a dodge intrepid.

Sheriff_Austin
06-30-2011, 08:35 PM
So when I was getting overheating issues last year, this is what I cam across:

http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13701

Now granted, this is probably an extreme circumstance, but it ended up being this AND the radiator that had this type of corrosion and build-up.

I did an F-Body radiator conversion and now it cools like a champ. If you end up having to replace the radiator, I definitely recommend it. It also forces you to install aftermarket oil and trans coolers, which honestly you should have anyways.

Best thing I did to keep a car healthy.

Soldier_GN
06-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Hmm.... Well, I guess i need to look @ the book/ pictures anf find the t-stat location first (please dont lauch @ me, Im new to TB/GN's.). Should of probally done this last night when i drained the fluid, oh well...

Silly ?, but how will I Know the t-stat is messed up??? It seems to work while the engine is on.?!?!?

And the Dodge Intrepid fan upgrade, will i have to tap into the current pigtail/ harness ? And what mods will need to do regarding the mounting of the Intrepid fans ? Was trying to keep her all Buick GN/ stock.

F body radiator/ oil/ trans cooler upgrade is off what year GM cars ????

Sorry if these seem like silly ?'s, but it seems like im trying to learn Chinese with these cars....

Sheriff_Austin
07-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Again, my instance was an extreme, but its worth a look to make sure there is no corrosion there.

To find the T-Stat housing, follow the upper radiator hose to the front of the block. Where it connects there, that's the housing.

The F-Body radiator can be used off '87-'92 Camaro. There is a detailed step by step on the site:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/airconditioning/fbodyrad.html

I followed this and was able to complete the job in a week, taking me longer because of the cooler installs and sourcing parts. I installed B&M supercoolers for the oil and trans. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE PROPER TEMP RATED HOSES or you will melt through them. The trans lines will run close to the exhaust. I actually heat wrapped the exhaust in that area just as a precaution.

turbodave38
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
From my experience, VDO temp gauges are HIGHLY unreliable!! Mine is anyway. My VDO temp sensor is in place of the car's original idiot light sensor. The car's stock sensor for the ECM is still in place. With that said....

My VDO gauge constantly reads in excess of 180 and sometimes as high as 200.

While at the same time my Scanmaster reads 178 (my fan turn on setting) and has never read as high as 180.

If I were you I'd try and get a reading from the ECM via a scantool before you rely on ANY vdo temp readings.

Keller
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
how will I Know the t-stat is messed up??? It seems to work while the engine is on.?!?!?
Remove it from the car and put in a pan of water. Heat up to boil with a thermometer in the pan and check the response.

I haven't had issues with VDO gauges and senders. Note that the fan sender and the temp sender are in different locations. Even small location differences can have a notable impact on temperatures registered.

turbodave38
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
True, but the VDO sender, and the ECM (not fan sensor) sensor are both in the main cross channel in the front of the intake. One on one side of the thermostat and the other is on the other side of th sensor.

Soldier_GN
07-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I was thinking my VDO gauge might be a little unreliable, (my gas guage is about 1/4 past full on a fill up, so i dont even have an accurate gas level) but the guy i bought it from said it never went above 180. Im gona pull the t-stat and throw it in a boiling pot of water, as Mr. Keller sugguested this weekend and see what happens.

Its funny, cause even with the Wetter Water its still getting to 200 some times 210....Guess i got my work cut out for me. Its just bad timing cause i deploy again in a few weeks :mgun:, and was trying to spend as much time with my family as possiable not in the garage working on my new TB. Oh well....

My only other option is to find a Turbo Buick guy out here in El Psao, but i dont think that is gona happen in this town :dunno:

kenmosher
07-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Again, while not optimal, those temps are going to actually HURT anything. My guess is that 15 minutes to pull the radiator and take to a radiator shop and it you'll get peace of mind.

Either they can rod/tank it for you, recore it or tell you it needs replacing.

Keller
07-02-2011, 03:38 PM
To be fair, VDO has gone through many ownership changes over the years. Things may have slipped. I'd like to think that Porsche chooses an accurate OEM source for their gauges. Only real way to tell the accuracy is by comparing against a calibrated thermometer.