PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking at a T-Type

Anderson
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey guys, new to the site...this is my first post. Gotta start by praising the resources of this place! I've looked over the buyers guide and gotten some other information already that will help out a lot. Thanks!!!

I've wanted a GN for years with a T-type being close behind. I have found an '86 T-type locally that I really like, but I don't know enough about theses cars. I'm going to check it out in person this evening, but would appreciate any pointers on this one. Here is the ad.

I've had this car for a little while and love it. I'm in need of a truck so one of my cars has to go. The car is in great mechanical shape, it's not perfect or even close but it's a great car. I'll list all the info/mods I know and all the things wrong with the car.

White
Auto
Ta49 turbo
Precesion inj 55lbs
Scan master
Maf translator gen II w/chip
Intercooler has been modded
Mini spool
16" GNX wheels
Hooker mufflers
Cut out

The paint on the car is definitely a 15-20footer, they did a horrible job painting the car. The a/c heater works but it needs a new motor($60). I'm sure there is more, I'll post more when it all comes to me.

And some pictures...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/jmac8694/IMG_1539.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/jmac8694/IMG_1541.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/jmac8694/IMG_1548.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3kd3m53pd5T65U15S4b6t5d2d44c9a6ad1fdd.jpg

Again, I don't know enough about these cars to know if those modifications are good or bad. Maybe someone will recognize the car too. It is currently in Garland Texas, but is from Arizona.

Thanks again for any pointers! I hope to be joining GN/T-type owners soon!

Keller
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
1) The badging has been altered, and the "vents" on the hood, IMHO, are a rather tasteless addition.

2) The 55# injectors seem like overkill for a TA49 turbo.

3) A mini spool in the rear end is pretty foolish. No street vehicle should really use a spool, and a mini spool is really not strong enough for high horsepower pavement use. They are meant for dirt track cars. The car will lean oddly on turns with a spool. Must have originally been a non-posi car (i.e. No G80 on the trunk RPO sticker.) and this was the cheapest way to get a quasi-posi performance out of it.

With no price or mileage listed, it seems hard to tell what it might be worth. But the goofy appearance additions and some mods being a little "off" would not endear me to this car.

Was the price particularly low? What are you looking to spend?

Anderson
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Sorry for putting the thread in the wrong place.

I'm not really looking for what it's worth, I've got a pretty good handle on that. It's a trade deal as well so there isn't any money out of my pocket. He is asking $6000 for the car outside of a trade. I'm just trying to see if there are any big, obvious issues on this specific car to avoid.

The mini spool is the first thing I was planning to change. Either putting it back to stock, which I've found kits for around $125 to do with new gears, washers, and a cross shaft, or putting a limited slip back there instead.

Also not a huge fan of that hood, those vents belong on a turbo Firebird, but I can live with them for now.

Keller
07-13-2011, 06:04 PM
$6000 + trade or essentially $6000 outright?

If it is the latter, you can look past a bit. The car looks relatively straight. And factory Astroroof cars are pretty rare.

Do not know the car, but at the right price the ills could be cured and the oddities looked past.

Anderson
07-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Yep, for sale $6000 outright. Down from $6500 a couple weeks ago and found an old ad listed somewhere else for $7500 originally.

The deal so far is this car plus some cash for mine. Would be nice to have the extra cash in case something pops up that needs a fix.

I didn't know the roof was a factory thing, thought aftermarket. Thats good info, thank you. I wouldn't want one with t-tops and have to fight leaks.

Other than getting rid of the spool, another fix would be painting the hood vents white to help them hide while I look for a nice original hood. Correcting emblems would be next.

Keller
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Other than getting rid of the spool, another fix would be painting the hood vents white to help them hide while I look for a nice original hood.
Can be challenging to find.

There were factory Astroroof cars. See our RPO area and look for the right code on the trunk sticker. There were aftermarket roofs, too. The headliner should give an idea if it is factory or aftermarket as well.

As long as everything else is solid, and the car doesn't have a half-million miles on it...likely a fair price.