PDA

View Full Version : The different GN types.

clorox2
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
I am trying to find a 87 GN to purchase and as I was cruising the for sale adds I see one advertised as a 87 Factory T-tops upgraded with genuine GNX trim package, factory style fender flares and louvers with cast black honeycomb GNX rims. Equipped with all the standard Grand National options. My question is did Buick offer this as an option and is a t-top upgraded to a gnx wanna be going to hold value or increase in value as a 87 Grand National with all its options? How do I find what options where available for them?
Thank you in advance for any reaponse, I love these cars and think they are beautiful.

Keller
07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
An add-on GNX appearance package was not a factory option that could be added at time a car was ordered. The actual GNX vehicles have both mechanical and appearance differences, and were technically a different model than the GN.

See http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html for some option information.

Many people have modified GNs to look like a GNX. While it detracts from originality, many prefer the look. What such modifications do the value of a particular vehicle depends on the age and condition of the vehicle/

clorox2
07-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I suspected the GNX add-ons were not factory options but being new to this vehicle I wanted to be sure. It looks like according to the RPO code info you included T-tops were an option, but I don't see moon roof or sun roofs. Was this a factory option too? I see some GN's for sale with a sun roof.
Thanks again.

kenmosher
07-28-2011, 05:52 PM
The "Astroroof" (basically a moonroof) was an option... RPO CF5 and about a grand retail when the car was new.

T-Tops or "hatchroof" was CC1 and about the same money.

http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html

clorox2
07-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Last concern I have is there seems to be t-type Regals that offer options that the GN has and there are GN's that have their options for that car. I would like to hear an opinion on whether the 2 cars hold the same value if they look the same and have the same options or does the vehicle that is truly a GN hold more value that a T-Type that looks the same? It is my guess that the GN holds more value than the T-type that looks the same.

Thanks.

kenmosher
07-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Because of the Grand National "mystique", the GNs tend to be more valued than the rarer (and often more uniquely optioned) T-Types. They are mechanically identical.

The GN was a "package" RPO WE2 that added the unique badging, seats, spoiler, wheels, console, etc. The "early" build cars had more "ala carte" options and grouped option packages into "Prestige Packages" ... a base GN would have no power accessories (roll up windows, manual seats, etc). The first package would upgrade the radio, add power windows, etc. The second added more goodies and so on.

The "extended build" GNs (after about April 1987 they extended production until late summer) were all basically built the same with some of the previously ala carte options (like the G80 positraction rear) bundled into all the cars.

The T-Types (actually Turbo Regals) got really varied in 1987. You could order a BASE Regal Custom with a bench seat, column shift, AM radio, and little chrome mirrors with the LC2 turbo motor! I have a friend with that exact car. Conversely you could also order a fully loaded Limited Regal (even with leather 60/40 bench seat) with all the options you could load on a Regal and still get the turbo motor. Heck, even the Landau vinyl roof with opera lights! 1987 Regals were the most varied as far as options.

One special package was the RPO WE4 Turbo Regal. It was all black like a GN, had GN body color bumpers, the turbo drivetrain (obviously), but T package wheels, T package badging, bucket seats, etc.

Despite this, the GNs are what people associate with the legend and as such they usually bring more in the market when put up next to a comparable turbo Regal.

clorox2
07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Great stuff. Now I have amunition so I can start my search for the right car at the right price.