PDA

View Full Version : EGR valve delete

Brian F
10-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Hey Guys,

How do you go about deleting the egr valve? Can you just take it off, put a breather on the valve covers and plug the vacume?

I was reading about injector and chip combinaitons and some said you had to remove the egr?

Do you guys think that it is ok or not to do this and is it worth it?

kenmosher
10-19-2011, 06:29 PM
No ... it's a huge hole into the ports. You can fabricate a plate and bolt it under the EGR valve to block the hole (and that makes it easier to reverse if you need to pass emissions. OR you can fill the EGR passages in the head(s) with filler (heads off the engine obviously).

Brian F
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Does this affect the engine negatively?

What can be gained by doing it?

does someone sell a kit for this?

does it need to be done?

Lastly I don't supppose there is a picture around here or possibly instructions?

Keller
10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Gained? Less heat in the heads due to no EGR flow into the intake side.

Lost? Higher NOx emissions. You will never pass an emissions test, but that may not be an issue.

Champion makes an EGR hole cover, but that doesn't fill the pathway in the heads. Welding up the head ports helps flow.

Brian F
10-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Emissisons are not a problem in Ontario with Classic cars, they do not have to be tested after reaching 20years old.

This may be a stupid question but can you weld the ports in the head with the heads still on the motor? Or can I use a resin to fill them? I did not plan on removing the heads this year.

Last stupid question, is the system monitored by the computer?

kenmosher
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
You can't (easily) weld them on the car. Filling with resin isn't advisable because the holes are large and go to each intake port right by the valve. It's likely to cause a huge mess down inside the valve pocket (if you're lucky) and an even bigger mess if it drips down into a chamber.

The block off plate will do most of the EGR isolation you need until the car gets seriously fast (10s). At that point, when you have the heads off to port them or replace is the time to do the EGR fill.

... and yes, the EGR system is "sort of" monitored. The EGR controller/solenoid is something that the ECU will set a code for if disconnected. However, it has no clue if there's actual EGR at the intake (i.e. as long as the solenoid/controller is connected it has no idea if it's really doing anything). As such, you can put a block off plate under the EGR valve and leave the electrical harness hooked up and it works fine.

Keller
10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
This may be a stupid question but can you weld the ports in the head with the heads still on the motor? Or can I use a resin to fill them?
Don't think so. You can't even see that part of the port. Not well, at least.
Last stupid question, is the system monitored by the computer?
The presence of the EGR solenoid is monitored, not the valve itself. Some chip makers may be able to remove that from the chip as well.

larrym
10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Most of the TT (Turbo Tweak) chips have the egr disabled.

Brian F
10-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info gents:tup: This forum is the best:yesnod:

Likley going for the Turbo tweek set up, can't decide weather 42lbs or 60 though, not sure if I have to change anything else for the 60's, the car is mostly stock so far except for the Walbro fuel pump, hot wire kit I'm putting in next week. Had to spend my allowance getting the car functioning this year.

I have plans to take the intake manifold off and port and polish it. Any suggestions would be great, don't need to run 9s yet just fast 11s my goals for the near future.

If I go with the 60lbs injector and chip combo on street gas 94 octane, will they be ok or will I need to do anything else?

Almost forgot, who sells the plate for the egr?

Keller
10-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Almost forgot, who sells the plate for the egr?
Champion, as I posted earlier in the thread.

More fuel does not make a car faster. What turbo will you be using?

I went high 11s with the 36# injectors and never had the heads or intake off the car, but not on 94. And not with the stock turbo, either.

Have you looked at the Recipes elsewhere on the site?

kenmosher
10-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Either will work with the proper chip, but the 60s are kind of a no brainer. Calibration info is well known by the chip makers and they are extremely well behaved.

larrym
10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Either will work with the proper chip, but the 60s are kind of a no brainer. Calibration info is well known by the chip makers and they are extremely well behaved.

and allow room to grow with just a re flash on the chip.

Brian F
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Only have the stock turbo right now Keller, wondering how much boost can be squeezed from it?

Did not realize the Champion was a store but will check it out:)

I am going for the 60lb injector chip combo they offer at turbotweek, thanks for the confedence.

Keller
10-22-2011, 04:55 PM
The stock turbo is not making any more power after 20-21 PSI. And I would not try that on pump gas. Not unless you have alcohol injection.

Champion is on our vendors list. http://www.championracingheads.com/

turbodave38
10-23-2011, 06:59 AM
I'll never understand why people think they have to do away with the EGR. It has absolutely no negative affect on performance. The ONLY time EGR is even functional is during highway cruise. The valve is closed at ALL other times, including WOT.

Keller
10-23-2011, 12:59 PM
If you are setting up a car for all-out race mode, filling those ares in the heads and intake may help flow a bit. Certainly seems a wee bit ridiculous for a car that isn't going to be putting down 600+ HP, though. People have gone 10s or better without touching the EGR.

As always, this isn't a SBC. Have to think differently.

Brian F
10-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Only wondering about the EGR because some chips say its deleted and that it should be, I won't be pushing 600 for a while at best.

What is the highest boost I can go safely now that I have the walbro in? THe GN is finally running correctly, boost is at 13psi.

kenmosher
10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Boost is a function of timing, turbo compressor map, injector capacity, fuel pump capacity, etc.

If you are running a STREET chip with STREET (say 92-93 octane fuel) with adequate fuel pressure and injectors, stock(ish) turbo,etc. 16-17 psi if you monitor carefully for knock and adjust accordingly.

On a race chip with high octane (104+) yada yada ... 20-21 psi on a stock turbo, 22-24 on a hybrid turbo (highly variable based on how big, etc). Again, careful monitoring is the key to tune it to those levels.

Keller
10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Let's please stay on topic. If this isn't going to be about the EGR, then start a thread in an appropriate section. :nono:

Note that our forum and pages have all of this covered. Look around, and you will find all the simple questions answered already.

Brian F
10-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys, great info here.:tup: