PDA

View Full Version : 28K MI GN. Is it worth it?

Sinical
02-20-2005, 05:49 PM
First off I'd like to say hi. I've been lurking on this and numerous other TR websites for a few months now. I just recently sold my streetbike to allow me to pursue owning a Turbo Buick. This morning I went to go look at an 86 T-Type and to make a long story short it wasn't the car for me. The owner however did tip me off on a 87 GN that is in my hometown that is not necassarily for sale but could be had. He told me where it was and I did a drive by.

I was flabergasted by what I saw. It was obvious that the car has been sitting for quite sometime (atleast 10 years if I had to guess). The paint as you can imagine is absolutely shot. It is severly oxidized as it has been sitting in the driveway uncovered, exposed to the elements. All 4 tires are flat, etc. Here is where it gets good though. I peeked in the interior and looks to be in absolutely "like new" condition. No visible wear what-so-ever.

I did not knock on the door but according to the guy that gave me the heads up (he knocked on his door a couple of years back) it has 28K original MI. He is an older gentleman (60s). According to my source he offered the gentleman $4,000.00 for the car as is. He turned him down and said he wants $8,000.00 or he'd rather just let it rot in the driveway. The car is a hardtop, PW, PL. That's all I could really tell w/ the quick lookover I had.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth looking into/pursuing. I wasn't looking for something w/ this low of mileage nor was I looking for a project. Is $8,000.00 way too much? Is a car sitting this long even worth it? Thanks in advance for the replies and I apologize for the length of this, especially since it's my first post. Thank you again.

Edit: I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to post.

Derek Hall
02-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Consider this. If the car has sat as long as you think....

Chances are the engine/trans/axle seals and gaskets, brake parts, rotors and hoses need replaced. Plus what about the radiator, heater core, and A/C system (corrosion)? Will the motor turn over?? You already know it needs tires plus the wheels and exhaust may be rusting out as well.

The body needs a considerably expensive paint job, but probably also needs bumper fillers, weatherstrips, belt moldings, and perhaps lenses and bezels to say the least. The bottom of the doors may be rusted out. If it has T-Tops there may be rust around the tops from standing water and moisture.

If the interior is perfect, that's probably your only good news.

So the question is....do you want to spend the money to buy all that stuff to make it a pristine 28,000 mile GN and will the final value be higher than the considerable cost it took to make it that way?

Second....even if you mod the car and go the other way with it, you'll still have to do most of those things to it or more and have all kinds of money in it that you'll never see if you sell it.

It all depends on what it needs and what the actual final sale price is. You'll need to look the car over in every aspect and do some homework on parts and labor. Keep in mind that many non-drivetrain parts are discontinued and getting harder to find each day.

In my opinion, $8000 is too high for such a project...IF it needs anywhere near the repairs I mentioned.

On the other hand, if the man started it regularly, most of the parts survived, and you can get the sale price down....you may have a diamond in the rough!!

Good luck! ;)