PDA

View Full Version : What classifies as GN, T-type, an so on

Troy Shade
11-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Hey there. Ive got a question as to the authenticity of just what version buick turbo I have. I know its not a GN simply because its not black and it would have the RPO, WE2. Looking at my original window sticker, it only lists RPO, Y56. It also came with the G80 limited slip bucket seats and console. that aside, if it was a "T-type" wouldn't it have the WE4 RPO? Then looking at the model number, J47, this wouldnt put it in the limited class either. So am i correct im assuming I have a base regal turbo? or does the Y56 RPO make it a t-type?

Keller
11-17-2011, 06:55 PM
You didn't even mention a year.

Have you read http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html ?

WE4 is a special appearance package, and not a simple T/T-Type.

If it is an '87, and has Y56 but not WE4 or M47, chances are it is a base TR. It may or may not have WO2 depending on if it has black trim (wheel arches, grille, lock covers, etc.) or not,

Troy Shade
11-22-2011, 04:54 AM
my appollogies...yes its an '87. And yes I read through those pages, which is what brought me to question just what i have. I was under the assumption if it had the Y56 "T" package then it would automatically make it a "T" type. But i seen the "T" type package listed sepatately,and as, my car has neither the fender emblems or the horn button emblem. I dont know if you seen on my profile is a picture of my car. it does not have the black moulding of the WO2 package. it has the WF6 chrome package. ill be uploading a copy of the the window sticker if youd like to take a look, but at this time im going with the thought i have a base regal. thanks for your time

Keller
11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
I was under the assumption if it had the Y56 "T" package then it would automatically make it a "T" type.
In '87 there was no T-type. The "T" package in '87. The "T-Type" was only for '83-'86.

This actually is important. If you look at the page I mentioned, the T package for '87 included "FE2+gas shocks+alum. wheels+QYZ+NP5". That is strictly a tighter suspension, Eagle GT tires, and a leather wrapped steering wheel. No turbo V6, no bump in the hood. You could get a "T" packaged Regal with a 307 Olds motor. Or the turbo V6. (LC2) Most were the latter.
But i seen the "T" type package listed sepatately,and as, my car has neither the fender emblems or the horn button emblem.
Are you the original owner? They should have been there from the factory. But that was about 25 years ago. They may have been removed, stolen, or fallen off.

Some late '87 cars did not get a T badge on the steering wheel, and got a Buick tri-shield logo instead (like the GNs have) because the factory ran out and wasn't going to order a small quantity. These cars sold well beyond their targets in '87 due to the end of their production that year. It should have the T fender badges, though. And may have long ago.
I dont know if you seen on my profile is a picture of my car. it does not have the black moulding of the WO2 package. it has the WF6 chrome package.
That does not mean it could not be a "T" with the LC2 motor.
ill be uploading a copy of the the window sticker if youd like to take a look
Be glad to.
im going with the thought i have a base regal
...with the Y56 "T" package (suspension, leather steering wheel) and LC2 (turbo V6). Are those on the RPO sticker in the trunk?

Basically, a T with the turbo 6 and without the black trim. Likely, the missing badges are no big deal, and replacements are available.

Troy Shade
02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
update on the t-type issue. The previous owner found the original t-type fender emblems while cleaning out a cabinet,called me up and theyre in my possesion. Also i was trying to get the horn emblem out the other day. Didnt seem right since it was grand national grey letters on black background and you told me factory put the trishield in late 87. i pulled up on the emblem which was adhesive backed and underneath was the t-type emblem. to think i almost paid 40 bucks for one on ebay!

having the horn button uncovered all i need now is the fender emblems on. Anyone have any ideas as to the measurements on the exact location?

Troy Shade
03-01-2012, 02:43 PM
got an update for ya's. i said before i was told there were mods and upgrades i wasnt sure of, one being the green ring injectors. ive discovered another gem. i was going through the pictures of items, specifically turbos and came across the ones for a ta-49. the markings on mine the ar60 and m10 are exactly the same. next step is to pull the inlet bell off and double check. i wasnt sure since my inlet bell must be factory since it has the inlet for the valve cover, though it is capped off and a small breather filter out of the cover. ok im getting i lil excited now. before i got the car the gas tank was replaced. im not sure if the pump was replaced with a good one. i do know it has a quad air fuel enhancer. dont know if this works, but im gonna put a hot wire kit to the fuel pump for sure. Is anyone familiar with this quad air device? is it worth it to maintain it or just go with a hotwire kit?

Keller
03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
The "ring" color is less important than the part number. Could be 30# or 42#.

Those numbers on the turbo mean nothing. A stock turbo has the same info on it.

Quad Air made two different such devides. One went under the dash and had some batteries or capacitors in it, the other mounted near the alternator. The former would be useless by now as the batteries would be dead. The latter is used prety widely. Neither replaces the usefulness of a hot wire kit.