PDA

View Full Version : Door panel removal?

87we41087
02-20-2005, 11:39 PM
I need to do a window motor and window seal on the pass. side of my WE4. I took the two large screws that secure the panel to the door but thats as far as i got. I know alot of panels have push pins, but this one looks as if there is an L shaped plastic peice that fits into a hole and if i try to take it off, i may brake it. Does any one know how to SAFELY take the panel off without breaking anything and allows you to put it back on with everything lining up properly? THanks alot.

Derek Hall
02-21-2005, 04:21 AM
You should have two large screws in the pull strap, two small screws in the arm rest, two more large screws hidden behind the arm rest, and a series of plastic barbed clips around the outside edge.

Unscrew the lock button chrome tops and remove them.

The armrest slides forward (towards the dash) when the screws are removed.

Make sure the window is all the way down. You'll also need to remove the window crank if you have one. A tool is also available for that or you can remove the clip with a long thin flathead screwdriver, but this is tricky and can cause damage to the door panel. If you have power windows, there is a plastic plug on the back of the switch that fits tightly over pins on the switch. On the end of the longest pin is a blue plactic knob. You can twist the knob off gently and slowly slide the plug off the pins. Same for the lock switch.

Buy a quality door panel tool to pop the clips because the auto parts store version is usually junk (depending on brand). The "U" shaped groove in the end of the tool should be at least 3/16-1/4 wide to avoid damage to the clips. Insert the flat end between the door body and the flat (washer-like) head of the clip and slowly pry the clip out. If the clips haven't been off and on too many times, you should be able to re-use them without the panel rattling. If they are trashed or you brake them, new ones are available at the GM dealer or parts store. ** Be very careful poping the clips on the upper door panel (which is cardboard) or they could pull through the cardboard.**

Slide the door panel forward over the inner release handle and lift up at the same time to release the upper panel which wraps over top the door body and the panel is off. ** The upper panel fits into a groove in the lower panel. If it's easier for you, you can remove the bottom panel first, but it's easier to reinstall them as one piece.**

Make sure you re-attach the paper inner door seal and insulation pad before you put the panel back on. Also make sure you reinstall the window crank spring (if manual windows), the foam seal around the release handle, and the rubber strip across the bottom of the panel before you install the panel.

***As far as the plastic "L" shaped piece, I have never seen a Regal with anything like that and I recently had the panels off both my 87's. I can't even picture what or where it would be on the panel.***

When putting the panel back on reverse the steps and make sure all the parts are back on before pushing the pins back in. They have a limited number of times you can remove them before they are worthless. **Make sure all the clips are lined up with the holes before pushing them in. The panel has ovaled clip grooves for adjustment...just because some of the clips are lined up does not mean they all are.**

Hope this helps ;)

87we41087
02-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Thank you sooooooo much. Im sure this will help me ALOT. I thought they were just push pins but it didnt look like it. Anyway, thanks alot.