PDA

View Full Version : scan tools

chrisjkruse
12-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Ive been searching around for scan tools. I'm looking to save a few cubic bucks .
There are several free software programs where with the proper 60 dollar interface cable one can hook up a laptop to the cars electronics.
I have a nice car..I have a laptop..I have 60 bucks..and access to several varieties of free software.
This car is a pristine grocery hauler ..all stock..However I have the occasional interest of putting those arogant teen punks in the whiny jap cars in their place..without flaring up my cars arthritus or worse blowing a gasket.

With this as my goal.. routine check ups and tuning..

What opinions can anyone give me pertaining to the free software/laptop interface idea?

Keller
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM
The cheap/free software sometimes can work fine. But, it often doesn't. The packages are often set up for the most common vehicles, and sometimes don't cover the turbo cars well. Given that they are cheap/free, chances are that thorough testing was not done for a lot of platforms.

Let's see if those that have used them comment.

Frankly, I've seen a new OTC 4000E scanner with a 1993 cartridge and all cables and a case go for $10-20 locally. While old, so are our cars. One of these will record at the regular datastream rate, and is good for troubleshooting and some tuning.

If you want PC recording capability and a fast datastream, something like the PowerLogger (from fullthrttolespeed.com) would work. If data at a standard rate, set up for your car, is what you need then their Scanmaster would do the trick. And, the two can even be combined for recording and display at a faster rate.

chrisjkruse
12-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you for all your help..This site is fantastic: