PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying an 84 t type and got a?er2

Dan H
02-21-2005, 08:18 PM
hi i am new here.i have always liked t types and gn's but never figured i would own one they are kinda rare in my area.now i have an oppertunity to buy one but it has a few problems.nothing bad i think but i wanted to ask before i buy.ok here goes the car looks pretty good the bumper fillers are gone and has some scratches on the right rear quarter and some small patches of rust on the bottom of the drivers door (just enough to bubble the paint).the interior is showing some ware.it has 165,000+ miles on it.the mechanical is pretty good with a couple problems.the engine is quite no noise and no smoke.the trans shifts good dont seem to be slipping.ok heres the problems.when you accelerate to part throttle everything seems fine the turbo starts to produce boost and it goes good.but if you accelerate further the turbo comes on up but the engine surges and does not want to accelerate.you can feel it start to pull and it acts like it is starving for fuel or something.still no noise or smoke and the turbo is at full boost according to the little digital gauge.15lbs.the car kinda has a rough idle at times it smooths out and then it will flutter some kind of like a plug missfiring from time to time.i'm not sure how long it has been since the last tune up it has old looking plug wires on it and oil on the valve covers not alot but some.the fuel pump is whining pretty loud to you can hear it inside the car clearly.may be weak?the guy is at 3000.00 on the price right now is this an ok price on a car in this condition?other than the things i mentioned the car seems to be in pretty good shape.thanks Dan H

ROBERT C
02-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Where are you located? I have an 84 t type wh-1 that had the same problem. I started with a new mass air flow sensor, and then went with the advice from this website and purchased the ignition module and coil pack. These parts are very expensive new, so try ebaymotors.com. I am selling mine because I do not have the time to work on it. It has 82,000 miles on it. I have replaced both doors, bumpers, passenger side fender, done rear quarter work on both sides, new flowmaster exhaust from down pipe back, full tune up, new fuel pump, maf sensor, map sensor, etc. I am only looking to get around $3500. for it.

pfredricks
02-22-2005, 04:01 PM
What fuel pressure are you guys seeing when you lose power?