PDA

View Full Version : oils and additives

Troy Shade
03-08-2012, 04:35 PM
here is a subject ive been deliberating for awhile now. getting ready to do my spring cleaning project. Couple places ive come across indicated that our new oils are lacking zinc and push the sale of ZDDP. http://rjcracing.com/product/zdd-plus/. Just wanted to hear some debate on which viscosity, synthetic vs. regular, what you guys use.:wait:

Keller
03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Couple places ive come across indicated that our new oils are lacking zinc and push the sale of ZDDP.
By federal standards, zinc levels have been reduced in all motor oils to help protect catalytic converters. As a result, it is a very good idea to use the ZDDPlus additive, or one of the oils formulated to still have it and to be used on collector vehicles that have solid or hydraulic cams but not roller lifters. Such oils include Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs Racing, Amsoil (high zinc formula), and others.

See http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0702_pitstop_zinc_oil_additive/ And note that Shell Rotella is no longer high in zinc and such.

charlief1
03-08-2012, 10:01 PM
There are also high zinc oils such as Brad Penn and VR1 Valvolene (sp) racing. The Valvolene isn't the stuff you get off the shelf though. The stuff on the shelf is low zinc. The high zinc racing oil has to be ordered since it's off road use only.:rant:

kenmosher
03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Yep, now that everything is roller lifter, the zinc (and phosphor) isn't as important for the cams as it is with flat tappet cams.

The ZDDP stuff is good insurance (and if you look at some oils like Rotella, they have higher levels than most of the new spec car stuff). I've seen several papers that claim that new spec oil is fine for flat tappet cams, but as easy as it is to wipe a lobe in these motors, I like the insurance of some sort of high pressure protection for the cam lobes.

Troy Shade
03-13-2012, 09:31 PM
thanks guys. i did go for the additive. got the spring cleaningdone and now getting the bgs worked out. i dontknow why but someone had the throttle position sensor off and when they put it back on they had it behind the pin. now im going to have to get ascan tool and set the sensor, but thats for another post.:nilly:

Keller
03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
i dontknow why but someone had the throttle position sensor off and when they put it back on they had it behind the pin. now im going to have to get ascan tool and set the sensor, but thats for another post.
It can be set using a voltmeter. I believe that is stated in the article on this site.

Be looking forward to other threads you may start.

Troy Shade
03-14-2012, 08:23 AM
i seen the page for setting the TPS. but it says about setting the IAC first. i cant do that at the monent until i get a scan tool to do it, unless someone knows a different way without one. ok found the other way to adjust IAC without scan tool