PDA

View Full Version : Max/Normal/Bi-Level/Vent/HTR/Defrost Question

racemd
06-23-2012, 12:53 PM
All, so I am un-mothballing my 87 Turbo T after 5 years of sitting and yesterday I went to turn on the AC, Everything was coming out of the defrost vents, I switched to heater/vent/etc.. and nothing changed. I pulled the facia plate and radio and the hvac controller and I could hear the vacuum stuff working when I switched it from positions but nothing happended. Then after a few minutes of figgitting, I heard a creeking sound on the driver side and then the vents started to work properly with a fast reaction during the switch of positions. I shut the switch to off and shut off the car and heard that creeking sound again so I started the car and attempted to test it again and it stopped working. Any ideas? Is something gummed up, does it switch using vacuum or something electric and where is this switching mechanizm located so I can try to lube and move it manually?

Keller
06-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Is something gummed up, does it switch using vacuum or something electric and where is this switching mechanizm located so I can try to lube and move it manually?
It is the blend door. It is on the ductwork under the dash, and gets gummed up after sitting too long. Over toward the passenger's side.

I suppose a vacuum leak could cause the problem as well.

racemd
06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
I found the issue, the controller was gummed up on the center electrical connection on the controller.

RR

racemd
06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Issue is resolved - the blending switch on the dash has a white clip with a pressure ring dead center that holds it together, on the inside is a rubber veined piece, the clip was broke and the rubber was dry rotted... I had to pull a used unit from a 87 Monte Carlo today and all is well and operating correctly.
Note - been a long time since i went to a junk yard but its slim pickins for any 84 to 87 products in Maryland... Only 2 things left, a 3.8 litre turbo hood turkey and a new blinker switch and its back to 100%.
RR