PDA

View Full Version : Alternator wiring help needed

S.BROWN
08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi,
Found these 2 wires tucked in below the wiring harness behind the alternator. There was some recent work done on the engine (not by me) and I've had a charging problem since. Before I go buy a new one, can someone advise if these are for the alternator?
If they are not, can you let me know what they are for?
Don't know how to upload the image, but it can be found here.
Thanks.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-repairs-maintenance-grand-national-alternator-wiring-W0QQAdIdZ402091054
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-repairs-maintenance-grand-national-alternator-wiring-W0QQAdIdZ402091054

Keller
08-05-2012, 11:40 PM
For those who can't see it...

The black connector with the grey wire is a feed for your fuel pump. It is used to run your pump when you want to test your pump or drain the tank.

The green connector is the tach connector that connects back to the ignition module.

NEVER connect these together, ever though they will fit fine. They do NOT belong together. :nono:

S.BROWN
08-22-2012, 09:26 AM
OK, so I found the problem. The very 1st thing that I did was replace the battery with a new one. Didn’t cure it. Next was a new alternator. Still dying. Checked and cleaned pretty well every wire and connector in the car including all of the lamps and connectors inside and out as well as the main fuse block (lots of fun there) and still not fixed. Caught with a dis-charged battery, so I hooked up an old battery to finish the testing and the car started and kept running without a problem. Totally stumped now. Looked at the new battery I just purchased and decided to pop the sealed caps off just for peace of mind.
Low & behold, there was a cell that was completely dry and looks like it had never been filled. Went back to the store to exchange it and installed the one. Problem re-appeared.
Pried off the caps and again one cell was empty. Back to the store, had them open up not one, not two, but three until we found one that was completely full. Back in the days when a battery was at issue, you would simply pop off the caps and fill it up. When the sealed batteries started to be common place, this problem was pretty well history. So, after 25+ years since the last time I had to fill a battery, it was almost the last thing that came to mind. Not sure what fits here. “history repeats itself” or “Deja-vu all over again”

kenmosher
08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Wow! What brand of battery were these? That's an odd (and frustrating!) situation.

S.BROWN
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
don't want to get into trouble, but a national brand name and not cheap. $120 on sale!!!
The obvious problems are sometimes the hardest to see.

Keller
08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Honest information should not get anyone into trouble.

I use nothing but Odyssey batteries, or the Sears Platinum batteries that are exactly the same. The Odyssey batterys are red, and the Sears are grey, but the Sears Platinum batteries are often able to be found on sale, and there are a lot of Sears around to find them at. Much easier to get warranty support (if it was needed) with Sears and Kmart stores all over the country.

These are AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries, and have no fluid inside at all. They have VERY high cranking power, and last a long time.