PDA

View Full Version : Rough Running/Hesitantion/Backfires

87Limited
03-04-2005, 04:31 PM
My '87 Turbo was just revived after sitting in a garage for 3+ years, I've replaced the gas tank, filter, regulator (stock), pump and everything else in the tank. Plugs are new and gapped at factory setting, air filter is clean.

Car starts up ok, but then runs really rich until its been running for about 5-10 minutes. Once I try to drive it, it stumbles and hesitates with some bucking and occaisional popping like a backfire through the intake.

Sticking your foot in it while driving overcomes it (barely) but the car will stumble and stall once you pull to a stop. I've been out of these cars for 12 years or so and don't have a scan tool. Could you point me in the right direction? Many thanks!

Keller
03-06-2005, 04:50 AM
What chip is in it?

The injectors may be damaged. They may need cleaning or replacement. I would suggest removal and cleaning. Note that removal can be challenging without damaging other components of you are not experienced with these cars.

I would suggest O2 sensor replacement as well.

The car MUST be checked with a scan tool and by someone who knows what they are seeing.

87Limited
03-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Scott - thanks for the tips - I will contact the previous owner to see whether it has a non-stock chip in it. The car other mods (ATR exhaust/ramair) so it very well might have an aftermarket chip. I also noticed that several of the vacuum lines on the car are so soft they are giving off sooty dust when I touch them, so I'll replace them to rule out a series of vacuum leaks.

The injectors have green stripes and I have replaced them on previous cars before so if the vacuum lines don't work out, I'll pop them out and go from there. Thanks!

87Limited
04-10-2005, 08:43 PM
OK - Here's the latest... I replaced the O2 sensor, all the vacuum lines (were pretty bad) and coil pack (as the previous owner used to experience the same issue and it was solved with a new coil pack). Car starts better and isn't as rich at initial start up as it was.

However, when driving, once I get to 5-6 lbs of boost according to the VDO gauge, it begins to bog down and backfire through the intake with corresponding increase in boost pressure.

I am thinking toasted/trashed injectors from it sitting so long... I do not have a scan tool and no one around me is willing to diagnose car ("too risky").

Any second opinions?