PDA

View Full Version : ECM Prom Selection, Etc.

21dusty
12-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Hello All

I have an 87 GN/Regal Engine that I will be putting into a 1966 Pontiac Tempest and will be used as a daily driver/Street-Strip.

The engine has a TE44 Turbo and 42# injectors installed.

Since I am starting from Scratch with the ECM and all, does anyone have a good idea of what brand or part number to use for the Prom that will be best suited for this combination?

Since the car is a pre computer car, what does/has others done to get the Speed Sensor signal needed for the ECM on a Hybrid Vehicle??

I am planning on installing a 700 R4 Transmission; I can go with either the Speedo Cable or Electronic Speed Sensor signal from it. Is there anything that can convert the Electronic Pulse or Speedo Cable RPM's from the Trans to the proper signal needed for the ECM?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, just getting my parts requirements listed so I can hunt for the many needed items for this conversion.

I am OK with used parts too, as long as they can be said to be “GOOD FULLY FUNCTIONING PARTS” I don’t want to put more worms in my bucket to troubleshoot as I am getting the engine running and on the road again, I think I will have plenty of them to deal with already.

You guys are the EXPERTS IN MY BOOK, I am just a Newbi.

Thanks in Advance for any assistance.

Dusty

kenmosher
12-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Hello All

Since I am starting from Scratch with the ECM and all, does anyone have a good idea of what brand or part number to use for the Prom that will be best suited for this combination?

I'd talk to Eric at TurboTweak or Bob Bailey and they can do a custom chip for you no problem.

Since the car is a pre computer car, what does/has others done to get the Speed Sensor signal needed for the ECM on a Hybrid Vehicle??

Casper's used (and may still) to sell a module for this. John has built several Cobra replicas using the Buick motor/trans, so he and Justin have direct knowledge of making it all work.

I am planning on installing a 700 R4 Transmission; I can go with either the Speedo Cable or Electronic Speed Sensor signal from it. Is there anything that can convert the Electronic Pulse or Speedo Cable RPM's from the Trans to the proper signal needed for the ECM?

See above. A great place to start (and probably can get some pretty expert tips of what to do/avoid in a conversion from John, if you can get him on the phone). He knows his stuff!

Keller
12-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Have you considered going with a 200-4R? They have better ratio spacing, and a lower first gear. Better for a heavier car, and would not have to adapt anything.