PDA

View Full Version : Need help in selecting a new tire.

Adams86gn
03-09-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm new to GN's. I've always wanted one and finally got an 86. I'm looking to buy a set of drag radials and was wondering what sizes fit. I would like to buy a set of Prostars too. I plan to make some runs at the strip and be able to drive home. If anyone has a good set-up please let me know. Also how will the set-up effect my gear ratio? ( have stock 3.42's now) Thanks for your help!

kenmosher
03-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Take a look here:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/suspensionpage.html

Specifically in the TIRE section. There's tire size calculators and spreadsheets that will tell you what various combinations will do to your overall gear ratio, and it can give you a really good idea of what equivalent tire sizes are available.

Also be sure to see the wheel and tire guide that discusses backspacing and offset for wheels.

Adams86gn
03-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks Ken. Anybody out there that has found a good setup please let me know.

Keller
03-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Sizes will be limited by what rim size you select. How fast your car is will govern size somewhat. Can't launch very well with tiny tires.

Not too many brands to choose from. BF Goodrich, Nitto, and now the MT Drag Radials. Hearing some good words about all of them. The latter is the new kid on the block.

Adams86gn
03-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking 15in (15x8 or 15x10). Car ran 13.8 on bald tires and way out of tune.