PDA

View Full Version : High Oil Pressure

BLoebick
03-11-2005, 07:52 AM
It seems overnight, my oil gauge now reads 60-70 psi while driving. At idle, it returns to normal, appox. 12-15 psi.

I changed the oil, but it didn't make a difference.

I have a 87 GN with 125k miles. The gauge and sensor are two years old. Could the sensor have gone bad?

Thanks,

Brian

gnatshop
03-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Brian - try pulling the pressure relief spring and valve first and clean well. Standing on the passenger side of the car, you'll see what looks like a big nut facing forward on the oil pump.
This is the spring holder - remove it and the spring will be right there to pull out. The valve will probably be stuck up in the passage. Use a small magnetic pickup to stick up in the passage and pull it out.
I usually spray WD40 or a good penetrating oil up in the passage and clean the valve good. It should have no scratches or burrs on it and then should slide easily in the passage. Put the valve, spring, and holder back in and tighten - then check oil pressure again.

If that doesn't work, it very likely could be the sending unit (I assume you have an electric oil pressure guage). My AutoMeter electric sending unit went bad a few weeks ago (3 years old). After trying the above, I bought a cheap mechanical oil pressure guage at my local Advance/Discount Auto Parts (about $16 - $20). Hooked it up in place of the electric sender and 'happy camper' - oil pressure was back normal.

If you call AutoMeter's tech department and are nice - no sarcasm, bitching - just let them know that you have always considered AutoMeter to be a dependable, high quality aftermarket vendor - the tech guys have the authority to send you a new sender even after warranty's up.
They did me.

Hope your problem works out as smooth as mine did.

David