PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to here.

Canada
03-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I stumbled across this site awhile back (as my roommate was doing research for his turbo ordeal on his Probe that used a T3 60), but never realized there was an actual forum on here...so obviously, I joined.

I'm a 22 year old college student majoring in ASEP (GM's technician training program) and am about to graduate here in 7-8 weeks. And well, I will have a full time job at the dealership I interned with. So like everyone else with a full time job and no real expenses I'm looking at buying a *fun* car. I've always liked GNs....in fact, when my parents bought a Ford Aerostar in the fall of 1987 I was disappointed....I wanted them to buy a GN/GNX instead.

Fast forward a few years.....I buy a 96 Beretta when I turned 17 as my first car. I drive it for a bit, and find the internet and Beretta.net. I buy a few suspension items and a couple of bolt-ons. Then in December of 2003, I swapped a 3400 in place of the factory 3100. Which is about all the farther I can really take that car. It runs low 15s at 90 mph, quick for what it is.

Then I find a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3.4L DOHC and a 5 speed transmission....somewhat of a rare find. I plan on turbocharging it shortly.....nothing to much 6-7 psi at the very most.....should make roughly 300-325 whp. Basically, its to learn as much as I can for when its time to *step up* to a real car. The Grand Prix should run a 15.3-15.5...it only has a K&N drop-in at the moment.

Enter the GN....which I haven't bought yet, but plan to upon completion of the GP. Right now, I'm just sort of looking around at the options available. My dad owns a 1971 Buick GS that he likes to take on cruises.....I'd like to do the same, plus run at the drag strip and street. I don't want some caged animal that’s a bitch to get in and out of (I'm 6'6" and 280 lbs).....but I do want it to be quick. There is a GN in town that’s quite nice......has God knows what, but it idles rougher than hell. :) I like....a lot.

The 200R4 kind of worries me......and honestly, I'd like to have a manual transmission. The T-56 is pretty cool.....anyone manage a manual swap? I know the interior pieces would be a bit of an issue, but I'm willing to work around that. Of course, the transmission is going to have to be blown up before I can replace it......call me crazy, but I like to blow up things. ;)

I understand that the car will never truly handle.....perhaps only shocks and tires I suppose.

I'm a tech for a dealership.....so the wrenching really isn't a problem for me.

If you guys have any suggestions or comments.... in pretty much any aspect....please feel free to do so. Currently, I really don't know too much technical information on the GN/T-Types (other than the basics). I'm really not looking to make a track slut.... just a god awful quick street car.

Keller
03-15-2005, 03:22 AM
The 200R4 kind of worries me......and honestly, I'd like to have a manual transmission. The T-56 is pretty cool.....anyone manage a manual swap? I know the interior pieces would be a bit of an issue, but I'm willing to work around that. Of course, the transmission is going to have to be blown up before I can replace it......call me crazy, but I like to blow up things. ;)

First, welcome!

I moved your post here because I tried to pick out one question from the text. And it didn't have any "turbocharger" content.

The 200-4R that is in the TRs isn't a garden variety one. It has a different valve body, governor, and converter to make it suited to the TRs power. With a rebuild including proper aftermarket parts, it can be made to handle MUCH more power.

One of the major rags did a manual swap once. It slowed the car down.

The 200-4R ratios and the 3.42 rear end ratio are just ideally matched to the engine's power curve. After a turbo upgrade, a converter change may be needed. But a transmission change is rarely reccomended. Other than some people running single-digit ETs seek other driveline options. Though some stick with the 200-4R / G80 combo into the high 9 second territory!

Canada
03-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Cool.....I wasn't exactly sure where to put it either. I was sort of surprised to not find General/Off Topic/New Person section on this forum.

What are the gear ratios of the 200-4R? I assume third is 1:1....

Keller
03-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Such an area might be a good addition.

Third gear is a 1:1.

See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transtutor.html for more on the ratios and such.

Canada
03-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Man thats a tall first gear, at least it makes for a tighter 1-2 shift than what my Beretta (4T60-E) has.

I guess I'm more interested in a manual transmission swap for the fun to drive factor.....I want to drag race the hell out of it, but am not *that* interested in the actual ETs. My Grand Prix is simply more fun to drive than the Beretta....even though the Beretta a tiny bit quicker.

My roomate has a Lexus SC300 (think Supra).....apparently a lot of the big dogs (900+ hp) like to use Turbo 400s and Powerglides oddly enough. Man doing that here or are they able to make the 200-4R survive and perform?

Keller
03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
I've seen 200-4Rs live into the high-mid 9 second ET range. That's about ~750-850 HP territory. Beyond that, the 400/Powerglides/Liberty/Jerico transmissions are employed in roughly that order depending on HP/ET.

http://www.jericoperformance.com/
http://www.libertysgears.com/

ajt86
03-24-2005, 09:18 PM
hey man- im in ASEP now in NJ, i work at a buick, pontiac, GMC dealer- i got my first GN a couple months ago- i begged borrowed and stole to get it- and im in debt with alot of people- but it was plenty worth it. beef up your 200R and put a ratchet shifter in it- putting a 6 speed would make your GN slower- if you search through old magazines theres an artical about i beleive a 5 speed swap? but yeah listen to what keller says- hes helped me out plenty of times