PDA

View Full Version : oil pump

fastblackcar
03-16-2005, 07:51 AM
i looked on the site and couldnt find oil pump replacement.The heads are off unsure if I should put in new H/V pump, or new timing chain, at this point is it worth pulling the cover off ? do i need to to replace the oil pump, car has 70K.

Keller
03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Not so sure if a "high output" pump kit is necessary. That ususally just consists of a higher pressure spring. Or in some cases, longer gears and a modified cover or a plate that goes over the stock pump area. If you are getting good pump pressures right now, I would not sweat it.

However, I would suggest a new timing chain. The stock cam gear is known to lose a few teeth over time, and that can cause problems down the road. The teeth are just plastic. And it won't get better. Many use the stock GM replacement unit with the stock tensioner and the newer roller cam buttom that prevents cam walk. Some use roller chains but I would suggest NOT using the stock tensioner in that case. There have been some bad experiences with roller chains as well, so caveat emptor.

fastblackcar
03-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanx Scott for your time.