PDA

View Full Version : Ground Wire

JAMIEPACURN
02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I was wondering if the stock ground wires are really adequate for my T-type. I would like to upgrade them since mine look a little worn based on the age of the car. I know Kirban performance and Caspers sell a "ground wire kit" made out of aluminum. Are these kits superb or would I be better off making my own ground wire from COPPER???? I know some people have made 4g ground wires but isn't that over kill? I just want to make double sure that my chassis is grounded properly and the right way. I'm just not sure the aluminum straps Kirban sells are the best way but maybe I'm wrong on this issue. Any comments or feedback welcome gn enthusiest.

Shawn N
02-04-2013, 06:12 PM
The kit made by Caspers (which Kirban sells) is the best you can get. I would not use raw copper since it corrodes quickly. The Casper kit will last 20+ years and be the most reliable so it's worth spending the money.

JAMIEPACURN
02-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks Shawn for the information. This will give me peace of mind to make sure my car is grounded properly.

Keller
02-05-2013, 03:07 AM
Doubt the Casper's wire is aluminum. More likely to be coated copper.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/DIY/Automotive_Wiring_Basics.aspx

JAMIEPACURN
02-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I stand corrected on the ground wire. I didn't realize it was coated but after reading the article, I'm convinced that the kit from Casper's and Kirban Performance is superb in grounding the chasis. I will be ordering a new ground kit soon. Thanks for the link Mr. Keller.