PDA

View Full Version : Any common issues?

pajeff87
03-14-2013, 07:45 AM
I recently acquired our '87 Turbo Regal and am in the midst of a complete service on her. Just curious as to any common issues or things I should look for while I have the car semi-apart?

Items in progress include: Replacing all hoses, new serpentine belt, flushing the cooling system and overflow, replacing the radiator, installing a new thermostat, cleaning the throttle body and MAF, new air filter, adjusted the TPS, cleaning the intercooler (inside and out), oil and filter change, replacing the heater control valve, new valve cover gaskets, inspected u-joints and suspension components, replaced vacuum lines as needed and inspected belt tensioner. The transmission was recently serviced by the prior owner and I will address the brakes and replace the oil in the differential once the car is back together.

kenmosher
03-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Read the maintenance section of technical section on the wesite.

Looks like you have the basics covered, but pay attention to plugs and wires. Also, coil pack and ignition module.

I'd replace fuel pump and filter as a matter of course, especially of its still stock.

pajeff87
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks! I did read through the spring cleaning link, will go check out the maintenance thread. The car has a new fuel tank and filter -- I believe a new pump was also installed, but have to check the receipts to be sure. Last owner recently replaced plugs and wires too.

kenmosher
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Stock replacement pump is a waste of money ... make sure it's got a good in-tank unit (Walbro, Aeromotive, etc.)

Check a plug just to verify gap and heat range too.

pajeff87
03-14-2013, 12:43 PM
What is the recommended replacement spark plug and gap for a mostly stockish engine?

kenmosher
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
In the Spring Cleaning, but basically, one heat range cooler heavy duty plug gapped at 0.035"

I like the AC "commercial" (has the "C" in the designator), but NGK, Autolite, etc. make some good equivalents.

Stay away from the gimmick plugs and platinums. Not worth the $$$ and the platinum tiny tip can be problematic with high boost or leaded fuel.

pajeff87
03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Totally with you on that one -- I will never install a "gimmick plug" in anything. I do run NGK's and Autolites in our other cars and have had no issues. I always like to ask those in the know on stuff like this when I get started on a new car.

Shawn N
03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
The stock rope main seal is one of the biggest problems. So if it's dripping any oil replace with the ridged neoprene type seal and save yourself a headache in the future.

pajeff87
03-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Wow... thought they did away with the rope seals long before 1987. Car really doesn't leak oil -- no drips on my garage floor anyway. I did find that the passenger side stud in the front cover (onto which the intercooler bracket mounts) was loose and things were a bit wet in that area.

pajeff87
03-15-2013, 07:39 AM
How about the oil cooler lines? Mine appear to be original and in ok shape.

Keller
03-15-2013, 12:44 PM
The '87 cars have Aeroquip braided rubber covered lines from the factory. The '86 cars are not quite. as strong, and can age over time.

I don't think there should be any reason for concern.

pajeff87
03-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like my parts from Kirban won't make it until next week some time. I have been working on things quite a bit and so far the only issues I have encountered are a really rusted up thermostat, a loose stud on the front cover, and a broken mounting saddle on the bottom of the intercooler. My brother was kind enough to TIG weld it back on for me last night as I do not have the capability in my shop to play with aluminum.

Shawn N
03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Alot of the sensor plugs, hard vacuum lines, check valves, and those 2 loom holders (heater box) become brittle over the years also. Highway Stars has the correct GM check valves for dirt cheap and Caspers has every connector needed for splice repairs.