PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Connecting Rods

KevinO
03-19-2005, 04:13 PM
I am getting the parts together to build up my 87 Gn. I have not as yet located aftermarket steel rods only aluminum which I dont want. Anyone know where I can get aftermarket rods.
The car is not going to be raced at the track,I just want to be able to look in my mirrors at the new ZO6 vettes.
Thanks for any Information.

Keller
03-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Let's see...You don't want to race, just beat Z06s. They run mid 12s. People use the stock "two dot" TR rods well into the mid 10s. Probably beyond that. Maybe put ARP bolts on them and condition them.

Why do you need better rods again? :confused: I think the stock rods will be more than you'll ever need.

KevinO
03-19-2005, 07:26 PM
I am new to the Turbo6 (always had worked BB Chevy before).But if I dont need aftermarket rods that works for me. I didnt know they were good to around ten.

Thanks for the Information.

KevinO
03-19-2005, 07:29 PM
One other question about forged cranks? I am looking at getting the eagle 4540 forged crank. Is that needed?

Keller
03-20-2005, 03:26 AM
For 12s? :crackup:

I've seen cars well into the 10s with a stock crank. Even driven ones 11-flat with the stock bottom end. If you have boundless amounts of cash...sure...go for it. But those kinds of pieces usually are meant for Stage II blocks and are priced appropriately.

Focus on the weak points. If you are building a stock-block motor for street use, the weak area of the bottom end is the mains. Billet main caps and/or a girdle is the way to go. That should keep a stock TR (i.e. rolled fillet) crank in up untill some very serious power. And if you aren't racing and doing trans-brake launches or 30# race gas driving, you'll make its life much easier (and longer) too!

For a look at what to avoid, see http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/DOTC.html Notice there is no girdle or billet main caps.