PDA

View Full Version : How to tie into Borla exhaust with downpipe

rjm
03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
All,
I am an amateur at this so I was going to ask Conley's in TX to put a Terry Houston downpipe on my car and high performance cats, but I have the Borla exhaust now (86 turbo): will it somehow fit with the Borla and does the Borla provide me any extra hp in its current state and/or with the thd? I know I still have these 2 cats and would like to be able to replace them too with easily interchangeable "gutted" cats. What would you do to an engine that needs rebuilding but I can't afford it, if you wanted to give it another 100hp if you could, without tearing into the engine? I want to keep it street legal and stealth. I am also going to have Conley's fix the leaking rear main while they are at it (smelley burning oil on exhaust!).

Thanks. Robert

Keller
03-20-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm not aware that Borla ever made an exhaust for the TRs. Perhaps you have Borla mufflers on some other aftermarket exhaust? Just about any aftermarket exhaust that gets rid of the stock muffler is an improvement. Only Midas/CarX systems that have 2.25" kinked pipes are as bad (or worse).

I'm also not aware of any TR exhaust with two catalytic converters. Perhaps you are looking at the mufflers? The stock arrangement only provides for one catalytic at the end of the downpipe.

The improved downpipe should produce more power.

However, if your engine needs a rebuild, no work to improve HP on the engine is wise. Save up and get a rebuild. Question is, why do you think you need a rebuild?

Sounds like a long chat with Lawrence Conley is just what you need. He'll get you on the right path.

rjm
03-25-2005, 10:04 PM
You are right Scott, they are probably mufflers on the dual, Borla, stainless-steel exhaust system: I like the way the Borla exhaust makes the car sound: not too loud. Sounds like I need to take the car up to Conley's to have them look at it. One reason I am thinking a rebuild is the valve clatter, very rare and occasional loud thud when I first start it (like a sticking head?) and the fact that it has over 150,000 miles on it (maybe not all on this block, however, rumor has it the block was replaced by Kenny Bell at about 60,000 miles). Thanks for the help. Robert