PDA

View Full Version : 87 GN what's worth???

Rugger
08-27-2013, 11:42 AM
I am looking at my first GN. It's an 87 has had a few basic mods done 10ish years ago. The car has set for awhile. I am told I can put a fresh battery on it and it will run like a champ.

It is a T-Top car.

The paint is bad and has some rust in the rockers.

Brandon

Keller
08-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Miles? Mods? Interior condition?

Rugger
08-27-2013, 02:08 PM
I have not seen the car in person yet. I am going off pictures of the car. I was told under 75k miles. I do not know what mods just yet. I was told mild stuff. The interior looks ok just dirty.

I am hoping to pick up the car for under $5k

Keller
08-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Not a lot to go on. Getting a running, unmolested 87 GN for that price would be nice. But the chance of it being truly unmolested or not having body rot or other mechanical issues are pretty slim. These cars are 25+ years old, and having a car that has not been moving can often be as bad or worse than one in constant (or at least intermittent) use.

I would not buy site unseen. And check our guide before you check it out.

Without more data, a price is difficult to establish. There are cars out there I would not even pay $5k for.

Rugger
08-28-2013, 10:24 PM
So a little more about the car. I looked at it tonight. It has rocker rust on the pass side and rust around the edge of the quarter panels. It also has a good size rust hole in the drivers side floor. All fixable.

The car has 225k miles on it. That's a lot I would think. Rebuilt beefed up trans at 100kish

Mods I saw in the car.
Kenny bell boost gauge
Kenny bell knock sensor box thingy
Kenny bell ash try switches.
3" down pipe
After marker exhaust
Cat look to be there.
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
It looks like after market injectors because they look blue. Not sure.
Looks like an after market MAF with k&n filter.
Vacuum power brakes.
The seller has complete list of mods but did not have it with her

The interior looks clean. Needs carpet and the drivers seat needs to be recovered. Dash has slight cracking in it. Headliner is falling.

The car has not been started in a year and had a dead battery when I got there. Put a battery in it that I brought and I don't think the motor turned 6 complete revolutions before it kicked off!! I was impressed. No noise and idled smooth.

So after reading all of this what would your best guess be?

I think it's a $3000ish car just because it is a GN.

Brandon

kenmosher
08-29-2013, 06:26 PM
I think you're in the ballpark with $2500/3000 range... more as a parts car than a fixer upper. You'll spend more than a nice GN would cost you to get a 225k mile car that's obviously had several iterations of modifications and "beatings" on it.

All the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar ends, springs, shocks, probably brakes, steering knuckles, control arms, body bushings, etc, etc, etc. are probably all shot ... if not from the miles, then from the age/weather. Mechanically, I'd be inclined to think wheel bearings, rear gears, posi-unit (if equipped) needs clutches, maybe axles, pinion, U joints ... and then there's the motor, which could be horrible inside (you never know).

That car was not lovingly stored in a controlled environment so I'm feeling a LOT more rust is going to show up the more you look.

If you can get it, tear it down and save the good parts (lots of unique trim pieces, seats, door panels, rear end (assuming it's got the stocker?), etc, etc. it's probably a pretty decent deal if you get it free and clear for <$2500.

Someone like G Body parts or Bob Herbert might be interested in it as a whole car? Maybe couple bucks in it for you to obtain the car for them? Just another option...