PDA

View Full Version : Proud new 86 GN owner, and a BIG thank you to Keller

Rob86
10-30-2013, 08:08 PM
First off, thank you Keller for an amazing site full of priceless information that could save many of us hundreds if not thousands in damage from screwing something up because we didn't take the time to read. I have always been a big fan of g body's specifically the Monte Carlo SS, which I have currently have ( and it's for sale) and a 86 GN. I've always liked the GN a bit more, probably because it was so unique. I've had a Monte SS since graduating high school, this is my second I own. This past July I finally decide that I was going to get a GN. I knew I wanted an 86 or 87. I happened to find one not all to far from where I live in northern Indiana. I called and spoke to the lady. She said it was her husband's who passed away 3 years ago, and she decided it was time to move on from it. I decided to take the 3 hour drive into Michigan and met with her, then left with the GN after a quick inspection. The car was in very very good shape, just under 56,000 miles, the interior near perfect, the dash insert had the usual cracks at the speakers, and the chrome outline around the 2 center vents and passenger vents was dulling... but that was all on the inside. It was optioned with driver power seat, and the lady told me her husband installed the 145 speedo. The exterior showed very little wear, just a few small dents, a couple chips. I'd assume normal wear from what appeared as a Sunday driver. No G80 but aluminum bumpers and drums. After a closer examination of the car I found the evidence it was in a "minor" front end collision. The front aluminum bumper had been replaced with steel. The engine was unmolested, just chromed a little. So, I had purchased my dream car for 12500, which emptied my savings and I took out a small loan. Which, while paying off, I've been reading through the wealth of knowledge on this site. Basically all of my questions have been answered already and I feel like I'm going to be a non contributing member lol. I know I will have one, I was going through the rpo and found several codes not listed. ( Lost that list since I wrote it) when I get time I'm going to go through it and ask. Other then that, what I've also done in the mean time, I've washed, clay barred, hand glazed, and waxed the car.... beautiful. I hate having it covered because I just love looking at it. I've installed the passenger breather/bypass kit, ordered the replacement aluminum bumper and posi from one of the moderators on here, Bobhebert, and I'm just waiting for them now. Then I'll be fixing up the interior the rest of the way. Future plans for the car, are going to be just some simple bolt ons, I have no plans of tearing into the engine. I'll get a few pics up . But, thanks for the site!!
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p796/Robbh77/Grand%20National/D9EC8D1A-87C5-46B2-BB61-4CFFE7F77A6E_2-1_zps26cf097e.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p796/Robbh77/Grand%20National/D9EC8D1A-87C5-46B2-BB61-4CFFE7F77A6E_7_zps71acbf90.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p796/Robbh77/Grand%20National/D9EC8D1A-87C5-46B2-BB61-4CFFE7F77A6E_5_zps2dc413c0.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p796/Robbh77/Grand%20National/D9EC8D1A-87C5-46B2-BB61-4CFFE7F77A6E_6_zpsf036c8f1.jpg

Rob86
10-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Few more pics, experimenting with camera features.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p796/Robbh77/Grand%20National/IMG_20131021_201702_zps722e8562.jpg

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p796/Robbh77/Grand%20National/IMG_20131026_230815_zps7462769c.jpg

kenmosher
10-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Very nice! Enjoy!

Rob86
10-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks! I plan on it. At times I still can't believe I have this car, I've wanted it for 19 years. It seems there is not much talk on the board, I know there's a lot of members, but as i searched the archives, I didn't find much recent activity.

Evans Ward
11-01-2013, 07:52 AM
I can sense your excitement from reading your post and very happy for you. That looks like a very nice car and I see it even has the stock MAF and stock air canister on it. I bought an '86 GN new but sold that car many years ago and have owned my strangely optioned '87 Turbo Regal (love it!) since 2000. On that stock air canister; if it doesn't already have it, you can purchase a K&N specific reusable filter to go in there. I had one on my '86. When you are able if you are planning to drive and use the car more than occasional use, consider purchasing some essential spares to keep on the car bagged in the truck area such as MAF, crank sensor, coil pack, brake accumulator ball, brake pressure switch, etc. Some of these parts can not be obtained at the local parts house chain but can be bought from vendors such as Kirban, Highway Stars, etc. Other good ones that I'm not listing too I'm sure... I'd also suggest good insurance, an appraisal, and as many anti-theft devices as possible. Oh yeah, a scanmaster too for tuning. On anti-theft, never share what you have on that subject over the 'net as you never know who may be reading it. Most importantly, have fun and welcome to ownership!

Rob86
11-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome! I have thought of some options I would like to do, and this site has narrowed it down. My plans now (might change when I the speed bug) the exhaust has some leaks its not the original, but it needs replacement. I'm going to do the cat back pypes setup, 3" g body parts dp, and fix the stock headers welding that crack and adding a gusset. After that I'm getting the scanmaster. Then I'll start doing the upgrades, the stock maf I'm going to remove in favor of the ls1, translator, and 3.5" g body maf tube. I already came across a deal on eBay I didn't want to pass up, stock ic with duttweiler neck. That's really all I want to do as for modifying, I know it is usually recommended to have a et in mind as a goal, but I'm just going for a parts goal for now. I plan on only bolt on stuff, no cutting, and I'm going to save everything oem. Regarding the powermaster... it sucks, from what I read, they seem like they are always problematic and my plans were to swap it out. (Right now the brake pedal is very hard, I've researched it and it seems like the accumulator is going) I actually just returned from the salvage yard with a vacuum setup I removed from a Monte. As for insurance, I was able to get state farm to cover it up to 20,000 with no questions asked by them, considering I purchased the car for much less that works out. Security is a priority, it's scary how in demand these cars are by thieves. Thanks for the tip on the spare parts too.