PDA

View Full Version : Convert PCM to ls style

ed39
01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
I have hp tuners and experience tuning my 07 silverado. Wondering if anyone has tried converting their gn to an ls1 style PCM for speed density tuning and just over all upgrade. Rather than having the multiple chips for different set ups. I was reading about the PCM how it sends a pulse and lot of the gn sensors wouldn't be comparable. Any experts want to shed some light???

Keller
01-11-2014, 12:17 PM
There are several reasons adapting an LS PCM to a TR might be a challenge. For one, the crank and cam signals are VERY different. Changing that alone would be a lot of mechanical work on the engine.

The Casper's adapter harness with an Comp Cams XFI ECM (Not the EZ-EFI) will plug in with minimal effort, and give you all the control you could want, adapts to any injector size, and gives a LOT of versatility. Plus requires no sensor changes, other than the addition of a WBO2. And that could be out of sight, leaving a stock appearance under the hood.

I am working on another option, using a Megasquirt ECM. The price would be a lot lower than the XFI, and just as flexible.

ed39
01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Sorry got tied up forgot about the Buick with all this snow :(. I'll have to look into that. What kind of mechanical changes? Couldn't you get the sensor and right tone wheel to work for the crank sensor? I'm familiar with hp tuners. Eric at turbo tweak is great but being able to tune more in depth in the fly would be easier. And ability to see what's going on to really dial in those goofy problems you get from time to time

kenmosher
01-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Definitely something that COULD be done with a lot of cross fitting, fabrication (in wiring and sensors) and so on. You'd need a V6 capable ECU OS with the right variations to work with what you could adapt to the Buick, which may drive the hardware choices for the ECU itself away from the V8 oriented E67/E40 family that is commonly used in the LS motors. Most will require a cam sensor internally mounted, usually with a 6x reluctor on the end of the crank gear (with two notches close together to signify cylinder 1) and at least a 24x style crank reluctor (a lot of times pressed on the crank internally).

You'd better be a pretty sharp engine management guy to do it because it won't be plug and play to characterize (or replace) all the requisite sensors and actuators.

A more straight forward method would be like Scott suggests ... get an aftermarket EFI unit with proper harness (and a lot of time will come with a "start up" tune). More plug and play on the mechanical/electrical side (uses mostly stock sensors like the Buick's 3X crank and 1x cam) and you can concentrate on the tuning instead of the installation.

ed39
01-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Yea I agree it was just a thought. So those megasquirt ECM you have to make from scratch then they have an adapter to go to the stock wiring harness? Isn't allot of info on how to make the ECM let alone how it hooks up to the car but that looks way easier and cheaper then my idea. Anymore info on that setup would be great

kenmosher
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Megasquirt is totally do it yourself. You have to know exactLy what you are doing ... Not really a beginner project. You need to have a thorough knowkledge of engine management systems and how it applies to the Buick cam, crank, and ignition module.

The XFI is a lot more plug and play with the adapter, and there a lots of Buick guys to exchange tunes and info with.

ed39
01-27-2014, 12:46 AM
I have been dealing with hp tuners for 3 years and since the buick is injected ve tsble and spark tables I have plenty of experience with and wouldn't mind setting up a tune

Keller
01-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Megasquirt is totally do it yourself. You have to know exactLy what you are doing ... Not really a beginner project. You need to have a thorough knowkledge of engine management systems and how it applies to the Buick cam, crank, and ignition module.
I do agree with Ken. However, the Megasquirt systems and software keep improving. They are doing feedback tuning, and initiated it before XFI. You can buy assembled systems, now. And I am working to develop a plug-and-play harness.

While it MS might not be ready for prime time on these cars just yet, the XFI really is straightforward to install. And if you are familiar with the tables and such, tuning is as you would expect. It is possible to find used systems out there from time-to-time. And the Casper's harnesses make the physical connections easy.

Keller
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
BTW, the Turbo Tweak chips offer a crude interface to do a fair bit of timing and fuel tweaking. Definitely worth a look. There are cars in the 9s using these chips.