PDA

View Full Version : what type of trans?

RegalRacer
03-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm a 16 year old, and proud owner of a 1986 buick regal nonturbo. I want to up grade many things but i have little money. I was thinking about putting in a bigger motor like a buick 455 but if I do that I need a new trans and diff. Because all i have now is a th200 and a 10 bolt rear end. I want to drag the car a the local drag strip so it has to be strong, reliable, and fast trans, any sugestions. :cool:

Keller
03-23-2005, 12:14 AM
A TH400 is the strongest choice by far. However, getting it to fit will require hammering out the trans tunnel a little. You'll need a different or custom crossmember and driveshaft. Plus you need a BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) pattern trans to insure the case mates to the 455.

A TH350 can be built to handle a 455 as well. ElectraJim runs one in his 12.30's 4200 lb. '77 Electra 4-door. The case will fit in the trans tunnel with no mods. Will still require some crossover and driveshaft work. Again, it will have to be a BOP pattern case.

The other option would be the TH200-4R. This is a 4 speed. The 4th gear is an overdrive, and it can be set up to use a lockup torque converter. The version used in the Turbo Regals (BRF) is clearly set up as the strongest version. It will fit in the car, and there is an available crossmember. However, your frame will need a small modification to fit the crossmember.

I would suggest talking with one of the transmission shops in our vendor list for assistance.

Also, if this is an original V6 car, you have a 7.5" rear end. "Bolt" count is bolts on the ring gear, not the cover. It would be ideal to have the stronger 8.5" rear, found only in the 84-87 Turbo Regals (3.42) and similar year 442 Cutlasses (3.73). Both are highly prized and hard to find. Aftermarket versions of the Ford 9" rear would also be a strong way to go.