PDA

View Full Version : 86 vs 87

garner
03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Hello,
I am looking to buy my first gn, and wanted to know if there is any difference between the 86 and the 87 grand nationals? I know that the 86 has 10 less horsepower, and about 25 ft/lb less of torque, and that the grille is a little different, but is there any problems the 86 had that the 87 did not? Is there any reason at all not to buy an 86? It seen that there were alot less made in 86, are they more collectable? thanks for the help.
sorry I posted this to the wrong thread!

kenmosher
03-24-2005, 03:00 PM
They are mechanically identical (even the HP and TQ numbers are bogus ... they were just marketing numbers and both years had identical mechanicals and make the same power).

The 86 has minor differences that are basically cosmetic and a few little things like (from memory):
- Grill with chrome strip ('86)
- Black door pull straps
- Rubber oil cooler lines (vs. braided covering)
- Minor difference in fuel pump wires
- Different ESC module (functionally identical, just different part number)
- Available with electronic climate control (discontinued in late 86)

Keller
03-24-2005, 03:15 PM
The ESC module was actually changed from a 4-pole (BLO) to a 2-pole (HKP) since the 4-pole was determined to be overkill.

As far as value, they're really identical. I think the owners of '86 cars tend to value their 'rarity' far more than the market supports. I consider them equivalent.

garner
03-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the input, I have owned alot of sports cars in my life, and I am looking foward to owning a Grand National! This web site has been a great help to me. Keep up the great work! :)

vipers t type
03-26-2005, 11:43 PM
I beleive the most rare is the 86 T Type they only made 2382 of these cars in 1986. In my personal apinion I beleive that it ranks up their with the GNX as far as rarity.I have owned from 78 regal turbo to 87 Gn and now I owne 84 hot air T Type that I found in a barn that was covered by a old tarp and two bails of hay, and only had 11,813 miles on it.The car has never been touched, and the plate I took off it said 1988, so talk about a rare find that was one of them.The 1986 T Type is worth more than any GN that you can find.So to awncer your question 1986 is worth more,(because why) It was the first YR of the innercooler.They produced over 20,000 GN in 1987.Nothing against the GN guys but the T Type is the Mother if you will to the GN.Nothing against Mr Keller but they are not equivelent,ask around and see how many 1986 GN you find and then ask how many people owne the 1987 GN and their is your answer.Good luck with your findings.

kenmosher
03-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Well, rarity doesn't necessarily equate to value in the market place.

I think just because of notarity of the GN, it always shows up valued at more than the Ts, Turbo Ts, WE4s (the next rarest to the GNX), etc. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way the market seems to go.

vipers t type
03-27-2005, 07:45 PM
I know what your saying,thats the way the ball roles.All n all we are all Buick Regal owners and that to me is worth more than any car.We all love and enjoy our GNs,Ts that what make it so great we are all brothers in my eyes.What is funny, I can talk to a total stranger is this forum and its like I know everyone here.Thanks for your reply