PDA

View Full Version : hooker header question

kwbr
03-28-2005, 10:12 AM
i have a new set of hooker ceramic coated headers, but have been told by a reputable individual not to use them that they would kill my bottom end on a stock motor, that they wouldn't help unless iwas running mid 10,s. i am new to the turbo scene but i thought headers always helped make power, i know there is a diff. in long tube vs. short tube, ect. but i can't see enough diff. in tube size or length to hurt. can anyone clarify or explain, thanx

kenmosher
03-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Basically, the log type stock manifolds work very well deep into the 11s.

The Hookers probably have more volume, due to the fact they have separate feeds to the turbo from each bank (right? I can't remember the Hookers specifically and designs may have changed over the years.) Also, from what I rememember they change the routing of the crossover pipe (which sometimes necessitates not running the torque converter shield?)

Many people have reported that the torque curve seems to move up the RPM band, so it makes sense that a slower car wouldn't benefit as much (or might be hurt) because it spends less time making power at the higher RPMs.

Keller
03-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Your source is right. Those headers basically take a set of V6 headers and add piping to feed the turbo. This 'down and back up' design adds lag. Its been generally accepted that they will slow a stock or near-stock car down. They aren't considered effective until a car is at 500-550+ HP or so.

See http://www.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/gnsearch.html and type in "Hooker Headers" (no quotes) for some past discussion.